close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Fresh install gets "has no properties" error

Thread began 3/04/2012 1:55 pm by eric172570 | Last modified 5/25/2012 11:51 am by Jason Byrnes | 1575 views | 7 replies |

eric172570

Fresh install gets "has no properties" error

I'm unable to get DataAssist 2.1.0 to even start up. Immediately after entering the serial number on the activation popup I get this error alert:

While executing onLoad in WA_AppBuilder.htm, the following JavaScript error(s) occurred:

At line 433 of file "Gaijin:Applications:Adobe Dreamweaver CS4:Configuration:Commands:WA_AppBuilder.js": App_OBJ.layoutOptionInfo[pageType] has no properties

Clicking on the OK button (the only thing to do) leaves a blank window, and I have to ForceQuit DreamWeaver to exit.

To try to isolate incompatibilities, I've removed everything (even CS4) and reinstalled from scratch This is still happening on a completely new vanilla installation of CS4, with DataAssist 2.1.0 the only WebAssist extension installed.

I've deleted the cache file, deleted the Dreamweaver CS4:en_US:Configuration folder entirely, still get the error.

With both DynamicConnections installed, I can define a connection, and the PHP source for my web page does show PHP code to require_once the connection file. So it seems the site definition as a PHP dynamic site is OK.

What's going on? What am I missing?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have created a support ticket so we can look into this issue further.

To view and edit your support ticket, please log into your support history:
supporthistory.php

If anyone else is experiencing this same issue, please append to this thread.

eric172570

Resolved with workaround

After a bunch of time on the phone with Ray (thanks, Ray!), it turns out that the problem is due to an assumption made by WebAssist extensions about file pathnames on Mac OS X. A simple but ugly workaround made it work for now.

If anyone else runs into this on Mac OS X (eyes-glazing-over content follows):

User preferences, and the per-user configuration for Adobe CS and extensions, is stored in the user's home folder/directory under Library/Application Support/Adobe. User home directories are usually found in /Users/{username}, e.g. "/Users/eric". Normally, this is fine, and normally WebAssist extensions seem to understand this.

If the user is using FileVault encryption on the home folder, then the user's home directory (and everything underneath) is actually in an encrypted filesystem which is mounted (Unix style filesystem mount) on top of the /User/{username} directory. Programs which expect the user's home directory to be in that location work just fine.

HOWEVER, the WebAssist library seems to go out of its way to discover that the user's home directory is not on the startup volume. Most of the time other volumes are mounted in the /Volumes directory. WebAssist seems to assume that this is the case. But for FileVault mounted home directories, the mount point is *not* /Volumes/{username} as WebAssist assumes, but is /Users/{username} as usual. So the special handling is incorrect. The normal /Users/{username} should be used.

The workaround: in a Terminal window make a symbolic link as follows:

sudo ln -s /Users/{username} /Volumes/{username}

The bummer is that /Volumes seems to get cleaned out on every reboot. So you get to do this again and again. It needs to be done as root (hence the "sudo") so you can't put it in a login item.

eric172570

Still getting splash screen

Note to Ray:

I'm still getting the "Serial Number Valid" splash screen on every first invocation of DataAssist during a run of Dreamweaver. Subsequent invocations of DataAssist in the same run of Dreamweaver do not get the splash screen. But if I quit out of Dreamweaver, run again, and invoke a DataAssist function, I get the splash screen again.

eric172570

Suggested mod for WebAssist

Of course, a better solution is for the WebAssist library to refrain from going out of its way to discover that a user's home directory is on a mounted volume. The pathname returned from the host OS should be usable. If the user's home directory moves to another pathname, then at worst the user needs to reinstall extensions. Better would be to discover the change on the fly and adjust as needed, or store the path information in a more flexible way that does not depend on constant string values (which may change if the admin moves a home directory) or which make invalid assumptions (such as that a pathname on a mounted volume is always prefixed with "/Volumes").

Can this be folded into new releases?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

What OS are you using? What could I do on my mac to reproduce the problem? I'm not too familiar with macs, but I have one here for testing and if you can give me steps of how to update my mac to reproduce the problem I can work on getting it resolved.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Mushroom-Graphics

Same problem in Windows 7

Usinfing SC4 just installed Digital File Pro, Data Bridge and Design Extender. I have deleted Cache twice.

Still getting the error.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

digital file pro is integrated into data bridge. It should not be installed with data bridge. Uninstall DFP and Data Bridge, then reinstall Data Bridge.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...