close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Powerstore 2 upgrade question

Thread began 7/24/2009 6:33 am by sales320648 | Last modified 7/26/2009 2:30 am by David Stringer | 3134 views | 8 replies |

sales320648

Powerstore 2 upgrade question

Question 1: co-existence of version 1 and version 2 in Dreamweaver Extension File Manager

When one upgrades to powerstore version 2 do you have to remove powerstore version 1 from dreamweaver extension or can you keep powerstore version 1 and install powerstore version 2 as well? in other words, can version 1 and 2 co-exist in the dreamweaver extension manager file manager?

Question 2: additional features of version 1 and 2 no major difference to prior version = not cost effective and redundant.

I noticed that powerstore version 2 only has some enhanced or new features added to powerstore version 1. The question is, instead of just purchasing the "upgrade version" of powerstore version 2 ( which already includes 94% of the features of powerstore version 1) why can't webassist enable the customer of a previous version to just Actually upgrade the additional features of powerstore version 2 to powerstore version 1 alone? Since at the customer at that point is actually just purchasing those few additional features.

Note:

Unless the original version (in this case Powerstore version 1) has MAJOR differential features to separate or differentiate it from Powerstore version 2, this becomes like purchasing the product TWICE.

Again, so far it seems it's very redundant to a GREAT DEGREE and not cost effective in the short or long run (to the customer and probably not WebAssist?) to have the customer supposedly purchase a so called "upgrade" when they are in FACT repurchasing 90% of the product all over again just to get those additional few features. Since there seems to be no significant product differentiation in the product itself, this is like repurchasing the whole product except for the few additional features that do not EXIST in a prior version.

Hint: look at the additional features in powerstore version2 : There are only four new features and two enhanced features. That is it!!! The rest is 94% the same. Also look at both powerstore feel and look, the how-tos of Powerstore, etc, you'll notice no ACTUAL product differentiation here. In this case the the super suit owner is saying " for $100 I'm actually supposedly upgrading or buying those four new features and two enhanced features!! But I practically have the whole solution pack!! What major added value does powerstore 2 have to powerstore 1? None!!! I'm shedding money for those couple of items that add no major functionality or change to the overall solution pack"

The non-supersuite owner, on the other hands is saying" I have to shed another $349.99 to buy the whole solution pack again!! I'm actually just purchasing for $349.99 those additional four new features and two enhanced features? I'm purchasing 94%% of the package all over again?"

IN MY OPINION THE FOLLOWING ARE EXAMPLES THAT CAN ACTUALLY differentiate a PowerStore solution pack version from a prior release of Powerstore and not warrant redundancy and appear as if one is buying the same version with a couple of added features (in this case four new and two enhanced for powerstore 2 versus powerstore 1):

DESIGN LAYOUT:

(1) a merchant can specify meta tags and define custom URLS for products and category pages that result in higher search engine rankings (2) 2 or more skin templates one can customize (3) automated product thumbnails generation with sharpness filter (4) Debug console: displays a tree of templates for all pages (5) Fully customizable CSS-based design & layout (6) flash capability to templates etc, etc)

PRODUCT CATALOG:

(1) ability to modify multiple products simultaneously (2) Products can be assigned to unlimited numbers of categories (3) Members-only categories (4) "Featured Product" box (5)Automated display of bestsellers (6) related products, up selling and cross selling (7) automated currency conversion

CUSTOMER CARE:

(1) Edit product options in cart/wishlist/gift registry wishlist. (2) membership and special pricing (3)"send to friend" section (4) Wish list (5) Newsletter management for multiple lists, edit/import/export of subscribers, news, archive for customers (6) Multiple customer types w/unique pricing for customers

PRODUCT DETAILS:

(1) unlimited number of images (2) list a product in several categories (3) manufacturing module (4) ability to display product detail images in pop up windows (5) unlimited custom input fields for products (6) unlimited product options/variants/properties w/optional modifiers (7) digital uploads (8)zoom in and zoom out for photos features (9) album creation from catalog pages

MERCHANDISING AND INVENTORY

(1) Discount coupon codes and gift certificates
(2) Retail and wholesale price

SALES ANALYSIS & TRACKING

comprehensive statistics:

(1) Number of customers (2) product views (3) category views (4) product removed from cart by customers (5)sales by product/best sellers (6) statistics on search patterns customers use when searching products (7) printable shipping labels (8)export sales & customer data for use in spreadsheet (9)search engine & incoming traffic tracker: the cart in powerstore referrer data for all customers

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

1) powerstore is not installed in extension manager it is a completed web site.

2) You can;t "upgrade" because literally every page has changed in some way.

Thank you for the suggestions on improvements (where were you a month ago when we were working on version 2). We will continue to work to add features. Unfortunatly because this is a web site and has no user interfaces it will always require replacing all of your pages and will be like purchasing a whole new store.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

mick106153

I don't want to say "I would have paid more!" cause I don't want to give you any ideas but it seems to me that if the upgrade offers features that you find valuable than it is worth the price and probably more.
If the features aren't what you want or need than why did you even comment?
Just stick with version one!
Your implication is that if I purchase an Adobe Creative Suite upgrade for $400 - $600 that every component therein should be new and different.
Of course that is not the case.
Creating software is an art. I wouldn't complain.

Mick

PS. Software like Dreamweaver is a complete and restricted package of rules. Consequently, upgrades can be seamless.
PowerStore is not software, it's a package of highly flexible tools. The flexibility makes it your own and can't be upgraded in the conventional sense.
At least that's the way it seems to me, being a complete novice using tools like PowerStore.

sales320648

Mick106153

You are free to express yourself that way. However, the key point that you said is " ... At least that's the way it seems to me, being a complete novice using tools like Powerstore".

You are indeed a novice in using the PowerStore Solution Pack tool. But before you take an antogonistic approach to what I posted, did you really read what I posted? or did you just read what you wanted to read? Again, look at the way I asked the questions. This is constructive proposition I gave. No given product is perfect. WebAssist does an excellent job in its products. It takes a lot of imput from its customers to develop future extensions and solution packs.

As to your remark about comparing what I said to softwares such as dreamweaver. Dreamweaver MX 2004 capabilities is completely different from Dreamweaver 8 and Dreamweaver 9, flash 3, flash 4 or flash 8. What you can accomplish with each product is different. Each version of Dreamweaver or flahs for instance makes that version completely unique. Thus their product differentiation is 50% or more than the other, making it basically a "new product in and of itself". For your information, consumers and buyers OFTEN LOOK AT 50% OR MORE ADDED VALUE TO A PREIXISTING PRODUCT IN ORDER TO QUICKLY DECIDE ON A PURCHASE.

There is no where in my posting did I say , solution packs should be totally different than the other to warrant a high price. What I said is that where there are NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGES but for A FEW FOUR ADDITIONAL FEATURES AND TWO ENHANCED, does that really bring a product differentiation to warrant the same original price?

I practically suggested if there is potentially a better way to get the few additional features where NO DRASTIC CHANGES HAVE OCCURED. What would BE MORE COST EFFECTIVE TO THE CONSUMER AND TO WEBASSIST?

As for the upgrade issue, did you read what I wrote? I suggested what WEBASSIST CAN LOOK INTO FOR FUTURE PRODUCTS OR RELEASES.

like you, I'm talking from a customer perspective and from experience. feedbacks and comments in this forum, ARE ONE OF THE CONRNER STONES WEBASSIST develops its reputation to produce AMAZING PRODUCTS.

If I gave you the impression that I was putting Webassist's powerstore's version 2 thumbs down, sorry. Not my intention. I'm I've become a diehard fan of WebAssist products, and I believe in their efforts to come up with with great extensions and solutions. I also understand that, they are doing everything possible to cut cost short in order to deliver great products to the rest of us.

Ray already did an excellent job, as usual, by answering my questions. ( you should have read that too before you started to type)

mick106153

I think the problem lies in the fact that you assume PowerStore 1 users pay $349.00 to upgrade.
We do not. The price is $99.00.
And yes the minor insignificant changes are very significant to me and others who have been asking for them since the product was first released.

Mick

sales320648

Originally Said By: mick106153
  I don't want to say "I would have paid more!" cause I don't want to give you any ideas but it seems to me that if the upgrade offers features that you find valuable than it is worth the price and probably more.
If the features aren't what you want or need than why did you even comment?
Just stick with version one!
Your implication is that if I purchase an Adobe Creative Suite upgrade for $400 - $600 that every component therein should be new and different.
Of course that is not the case.
Creating software is an art. I wouldn't complain.

Mick

PS. Software like Dreamweaver is a complete and restricted package of rules. Consequently, upgrades can be seamless.
PowerStore is not software, it's a package of highly flexible tools. The flexibility makes it your own and can't be upgraded in the conventional sense.
At least that's the way it seems to me, being a complete novice using tools like PowerStore.  

Again I did not assume anything. Please read my posting again.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Re-reading your post, as you suggested, I think people may have taken offense to the statement:

"additional features of version 1 and 2 no major difference to prior version = not cost effective and redundant."

From my perspective, it does seem rather harsh and could discourage people from upgrading by stating that the features are redundant... that hurts WebAssist and in turn hurts our ability to add the features you are suggesting now.

You are quick to rebut when someone simply "assumes you assumed" something, surely you could understand others who don't agree with your assessment can chime in with their own 2 cents when they are pleased with this round of updates and the cost.

I continue to think the price is almost ludicrously inexpensive both for the full version and upgraded. It probably still isn't difficult selling an individual implementation for thousands more than the original cost. The additional feature of options with inventory control is very difficult to pull off effectively, so that feature is very big for those that need it.

We appreciate your suggestions for how we can improve. I think this forum is filled with people that like WebAssist, our extensions, our products, and our commitment to their success. Suggestions with a positive tone would be more welcomed and possibly incorporated into the next version. A comment after the fact that something isn't worth purchasing seems less constructive even when you give potentially valid reasons why.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

David StringerBeta Tester

Value for Money!

I purchased PowerStore when it was introduced a short while ago and at the time asked if the new options of colour and size could be added. It did not seem possible at that time and I approached one or two programmers with a view to having them added.

I can say that the $99 I have paid for the upgrade from WebAssist is worth every penny.

A very happy bunny!!!

Like one of the contributors above, I look forward to the next innovation from WebAssist.

sales320648

Thanks Ray.

WebAssist always has great goodies for us. Often times I can't wait to see what else you have in wait for us. It's like waiting to a new cookie jar. You guys do an EXCELLENT JOB.

To answer your question, I didn't have powerstore 2 to compare it with. I'm pretty sure as webassist develops more powerstore solution packs, it will unequivocally incorporate potentially amazing after researching, studying and developing those features in its future new releases.

WebAssist does an excellent job in listening to its customers and finding the most economic and practical ways to make them reliazable.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...