close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Create a Blog using PowerCMS Builder

Thread began 2/26/2012 12:06 am by Daryl | Last modified 9/22/2016 6:53 am by anonymous | 4229 views | 6 replies |

DarylBeta Tester

Create a Blog using PowerCMS Builder

Im trying to build a blog or news type area using the PowerCMSBuilder extension but am having real issues sorting out the navigation menus to make this work properly.

I really like the way that clients can use the CMS to add articles (page from template) although I really wish that users couldnt alter the 'template' and could only add, but never mind about that at the moment.

I have had help to create a list of Months and Years with a record count in brackets after as an archive menu - http://www.webassist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24940 and I have managed to create a list of the last x no of recent News posts, the problem that I am having now is filtering the recordset by month and year.

I have tried various ways of filtering the recordset daetime column using a url variable but just cant get it to work.

Has anyone else made a blog/news section like this?

Does anyone have an example of the code that they used that they could share with me?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

so from the linked thread, the base recordset you are using is:

SELECT Date_format(pcms2_contents.ContentDate, '%M, %Y') as contDate, 
COUNT(*) AS cc FROM pcms2_contents
WHERE pcms2_contents.ContentPageName='News' AND pcms2_contents.ContentPageSetParentID=12
GROUP BY YEAR(pcms2_contents.ContentDate),
MONTH(pcms2_contents.ContentDate)
ORDER BY pcms2_contents.ContentDate DESC

to filter by a month and year url variable, you would need to pass the 2 digit month number in the querystring, and the 4 digit year in the quertystring for example:
news.php?month=02&year=2012

then in the recordset, use DATE_FORMAT to convert the date to year and month pieces: add to the where clause:

SELECT Date_format(pcms2_contents.ContentDate, '%M, %Y') as contDate, 
COUNT(*) AS cc FROM pcms2_contents
WHERE pcms2_contents.ContentPageName='News' AND pcms2_contents.ContentPageSetParentID=12 AND DATE_FORMAT(pcms2_contents.ContentDate, %m) = paramMonth AND DATE_FORMAT(pcms2_contents.ContentDate, %Y) = paramYear
GROUP BY YEAR(pcms2_contents.ContentDate),
MONTH(pcms2_contents.ContentDate)
ORDER BY pcms2_contents.ContentDate DESC

then in the variables section, create 2 new variables as:
name: paramMonth
type: date
default value: -1
runtime value: $_GET['month']

name: paramYear
type: date
default value: -1
runtime value: $_GET['year']

RonnieJaysmith

The majority of people are still only discussing Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal as the three best Open source Content Management Systems. These systems will be reviewed through first hand experience. But, we will add to the equation, a Commercial Open Source CMS system called WebriQ and analyze the major differences between the three open source system and then group those open source system and compare them with a Commercial Open source system.

Ronnie

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Ronnie,

This is a support forum for the WebAssist Power CMS Solution, it is not a forum for you to debate the merits of other systems on the market.

If you have a question pertaining to Power CMS, feel free to post your question. otherwise, your post is irrelevant to this forum. Please refrain from adding noise.

this is the second time i have seen you post, both posts have been basically the same, this is not the place for your posts.

Cheers
Jason

nupivu56440538

I didn't know I can use it for blog. Is it user-friendly enough for a newbie blogger? I think I will need some help with installation and settings...

DarylBeta Tester

Its fairly easy to use to create a blog although you will need a small amount of hand coding to create the various dynamic menus.

You would also need to use the social media toolkit to create a comments system or hand code one from scratch.

anonymous

This post has been deleted.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...