close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

SMTP settings - enter username and password

Thread began 2/02/2012 3:07 pm by shelley284392 | Last modified 12/27/2013 2:17 am by Ray Borduin | 3496 views | 10 replies |

shelley284392

SMTP settings - enter username and password

Hello,

Can you tell me how to set a username & password for SMTP authentication? I have a dedicated server and it requires a username & password. I entered the email server name during set up and strangely enough, the test was sent even though I didn't enter a username & password. That makes me wonder if it's using the server that I entered during set up. So I need to make sure it's using the correct server (is there a way to see that?) and to put in the username & password.

Thanks!
Shelley

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Power Messenger uses the php mail() function for connecting to the email server, the mai() function does not offer support for passing username and password authentication. Power Messenger cannot be used with smtp servers that require authentication.

the only email that power messenger will send that does not use the smtp server you specify is the spam test email, that email is passed to a spam test service. all other emails use the smtp server you set in the power messenger settings.

shelley284392

:(

Don't suppose you guys would consider integrating something like phpmailer in the future? When using shared hosting and sending out a larger amount of e-mails, it really drags down the servers, which is why my hosting company has me on a dedicated mail server. I service 50+ clients with that and all of them having mailing lists. I was considering switching to your mailing product (and therefore purchasing Power Messenger for current and future clients), but without the ability to use SMTP authentication, that puts it out of the running. I think this will seriously limit your product use in the future.

Off to reluctanctly submit a refund request ...

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I will put in a feature request for this to be considered for a future version.

shelley284392

Alternatively (I've just spoken to someone on the phone), is this system something that would be customizeable to integrate something like phpmailer or another open source mailing list that could utilize SMTP authentication?

I'm not experienced enough to know how to implement these myself into your system, but wondering if it's possible along with paid support ...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Shelley

shelley284392

Thanks Jason. I'm looking at large volume purchases of this (probably 10 to start and then to use this from now on with my client base, which is currently about 75) if that helps ... I love everything else about it, but this is a deal breaker. Would love to work with your guys on this.

Shelley

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

in a premiere ticket appointment we should be able to update power messenger to use the Pear Mail package which would support SMTP authentication. your host would need to have PEar Mail installed and functioning.

twil86164597

Hi
Ditto to the above requests RE SMTP and PHPmailer... it's been almost a year since that improvement request... is there any new information RE SMTP auth capability??

That critical capability would be a requirement for us to purchase your product.

Thank in advance,
Tom

Ray BorduinWebAssist

This is actually a relatively easy update to make. We could do it with you in a 1 hr premiere support ticket. 99% of hosts work with php mail and don't need PEAR mail with authentication... so it really isn't that common of a request. Who is your hosting provider? If it was associated with a volume purchase we would gladly add this for no additional charge.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

twil86164597

Hi Ray,
Thanks for the quick reply. I will run your kind offer by my client and get back to you sometime after Jan 2.
:-)
-Tom

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...