close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Viewing PHP file created by Dreamweaver CS3 in a web browser locally

Thread began 3/19/2009 3:16 pm by ResB | Last modified 1/08/2010 2:49 pm by ResB | 15588 views | 13 replies |

ResB

Viewing PHP file created by Dreamweaver CS3 in a web browser locally

Hi all,

This is my first post and I'm a total novice with this query.

I've developed a website in Dreamweaver CS3 where all of my pages are PHP. For the last two days I have been able to view the pages locally using the "view in browser" button and selecting Firefox. If I tried to use Internet Explorer I would get a pop-up saying "Do I want to open or save this file", the file being the page I've tried to view, index.php for example. However, Firefox, just opened the PHP file as if it were an ordinary HTML file.

However, all of a sudden without any warning I can no longer view the pages in Firefox. When I try I get the "what do you want to open the file with?" and if I select Firefox I just get a blank page!

I don't have any testing sites set up or have Apache installed or any other server based software for that matter.

Is there any reason why this would just start happening?

Hope you can help.

Regards,

Rich

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Because you just started naming your pages .php and used to name them .html? That is my guess, but really there isn't enough information to properly diagnose this problem.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

ResB

Sorry Ray,

I wasn't perhaps very clear.

The pages were all created from new i.e. file --> new ..> PHP All the pages were bonefide PHP files and I was able to view the pages locally. But now when I try to view the PHP pages I get the pop-up asking if I want to open the file "index.php" where before it would just open in Firefox and display as you would expect.

I didn't rename the HTML files to PHP. I was just using how you would view HTML files in Dreamweaver as an example.

Thanks again.

Justin Nemeth

Since PHP is a web server language, you will get the best results if you view the pages using a web server running PHP. As a temporary fix, you could just rename your files with the .html extension if you aren't actually using any server side code.

ResB

Thank you Justin for the reply.

Can I ask a stupid question please.

When I upload my PHP files to a web server running PHP, should the pages display as you would expect automatically. What I mean is, will the server automatically see that my web pages have the PHP extension and therefore run the relevant scripts to see the pages as intended.

Sorry PHP is a new animal for me.

Regards

Justin Nemeth

Yes, if the web server running PHP is setup correctly .php files will run the relevant scripts like you would expect.

Brad Lawryk

Hi Rich,

If you are on a PC, you should install WAMP, its free and will allow you to view your PHP pages as they are meant to be.

The reason that some of your php pages were viewable and some not may be due to the fact that your early php pages may not have contained any actual php code. Just regular html?

If you eventually upgrade to CS4 then you would no longer need WAMP as the new Live View in CS4 will do the same thing.

Brad

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Originally Said By: Brad Lawryk
  If you eventually upgrade to CS4 then you would no longer need WAMP as the new Live View in CS4 will do the same thing.  

To the best of my knowledge, CS4 doesn't include a web server or PHP parser. I don't think Live View in CS4 would allow you to preview PHP pages without wamp installed.

Brad Lawryk

This post has been deleted.

dvpapa51386826

Trouble shooting with PHP and Dreamweaver

Hello everyone one I am a beginer in PHP & MySQL, please bare with me....
My problem is occuring in Dreamweaver CS3
Well my message is similar to ResB...Before I started using (example.php) I usualy use (.html) for my file names. While using the .html way, I was still able to preview my work on the browser when executing F12. After getting into PHP & MySQL, using the (.php) format everthing went down south for me...I cannot preview anything now when clicking on F12...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...