close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Modifying fields in User Registration Solution Pack

Thread began 7/20/2009 3:27 pm by michellem310468 | Last modified 12/09/2009 12:22 pm by Jason Byrnes | 6367 views | 16 replies |

michellem310468

Modifying fields in User Registration Solution Pack

Hello:

I recently purchased the User Registration Solutions Pack. I have followed the supplied instructions, and everything works fine through to the email confirmation, but when I try logging in, nothing happens. The login page reloads and displays the text "You have attempted to access a page with restricted content. Please log in or register to continue." But no errors are produced. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

I was also led to believe that I would **easily** be able to add/modify fields to the URSP registration form. However, nowhere have I been able to find instructions on just how to do this. Going about it on my own has just led to chaos. Can anyone walk me through the steps necessary to add additional form fields (I've already modified the dB to include columns for the fields I want to add)?

I'm in dire need of some help!
Thanks.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jon GibsonBeta Tester

Protected Page

Hello Michelle:

The "You are trying to access a restricted page" means the file believes you are trying to access protect_Page.php directly (ie typing the address directly into your location bar in your browser).

Did you modify any of the file names? Folders? Code within any of the pages. If so those problems can be fixed.

It could be a database issue as well. Have you checked your DB and made sure your data is being properly collected?

As for adding fields and the like . . . I can help you do that. These are great products that non-coders can use, but their power is magnified five times when you know some php.

My suggestion:
If it is not too big a deal, scrap the form you have made. Delete it from your root folder. Copy a new registration folder (not changing any names yet). Then, come back here and I (or someone more qualified than me:) will help you add your additional fields.

donegan365577

Please, I need help too

Originally Said By: Jon Gibson
  My suggestion:
If it is not too big a deal, scrap the form you have made. Delete it from your root folder. Copy a new registration folder (not changing any names yet). Then, come back here and I (or someone more qualified than me:) will help you add your additional fields.  

Ok, Jon. I am ready to get started. I have been trying to do this same thing on my own for about two weeks but just cannot get it right. I would appreciate any help you or any one on the list can provide. If possible, could these be step by step instructions?

I have recreated the registration folder, to my website. I started out using the "simple registration" to my website.

I would like to add four fields to the form (Month of Birth, City, State, Country, Newsletter Format). I have added the fields to my MYSQL Database and uploaded it to my host server.

Thank you in advance.

Jon GibsonBeta Tester

Absolutely

Hello Sheila:

First, do not use the simple registration; use the users_Registration.php file, as it comes with the City, State, and Country options. That will take care of your first three fields.

Here are the general steps to adding new fields to your form (unless you have other webassist products that would help):

1. Add the new fields
2. Add the new field Validations
3. Add the new Inserts to the SQL insert

1. Add the new Month of Birth field (I recommend a drop down rather than a text box)
- Locate the area(s) in your forms where you want to add your four fields
- Insert a drop down menu
- you can use a php for loop to cycle through the months (if you want steps to that let me know and I will produce them for you).

2. Add the Validation
- on a fresh users_Registration.php file, locate line 74 or there abouts where you should see the UserState validation rule.
- highlight, copy and paste all of the UserState POST rule to a line right below the UserState rule
- change the UserState to read UserBirth (or whatever you named the field in your database)
- change the number at the end of the line from 17 to 20

3. Add the new Insert information
- locate line 99 (maybe 100 or 101 now) where the $WA_fieldNamesStr = is located.
- insert | UserBirth | between the UserState and UserZip fieldnames.
- this part is tough, but you need to copy the UserState isset($POST) information in the $WA_fieldValuesStr and paste it.
- rename the newly pasted line to read for your UserBirth.
- locate line 101 or so, where the $WA_columnTypesStr = are listed. Add a |',none,''| to account for your new UserBirth field.

That is about it. The last two steps are the toughest because you have to make sure you have all of the right characters in the right pattern. Take your time.

OK, hope that helps!
Jon

Ray BorduinWebAssist

This is all correct... but I'd like to add:

You can use DW spry validation to add client validation to the fields, that seems to be left out.

I would like to also add that step 2 can be accomplished in the Validation Toolkit User interface if you happen to own that extension and you could browse and select the validations you want to add instead of editing the code.

The same goes for #3 if you own DataAssist, you can just update the server behavior.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

jekan116017

WA_globals.php filling in the data.

I built a dynamic site with web assist dynamic templates that included a log in section with no instructions of how that log in is linked in a Dreamweaver site. I purchased super suit to see if I could find the"easyily installed soluction", no chance. I then bought User registration soluction pack and contact soluction pack which means I have every extension now, and still I cannot find helpfull solutions that explain what you have to do step by step. I have to say I am frustrated after five days of trying to get the registration solution to work. I have a database imported from the registration solution, working fine. I have my database connections, Mysql connections all working fine. However, while following the what to do in the easy instructions, on modifying the WA_Globals.php I am completely stuck.Line 11: what is email server. Is that the server in my domain that I set up on the server site e.g. postmaster@hcin.info? What are email_CC and BCC? Line 21. What is your password?? Line 22??' line 23 BCC. Line 24 : Admin username ? what admin, server, domain, mail? I would be so grateful for any assistance so that I can use this software correctly. Many thanks

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

1) what is email server. Is that the server in my domain that I set up on the server site e.g. postmaster@hcin.info?:

The mail server is the address of the email server on your domain. in many cases it can be left blank. usually, the mail server address starts with smtp, for example: smtp.mydomain.com. In your hosting control panel, it should list the smtp or mail server address. if you are unsure, contact the host and ask them what the smtp server address is.

2) What are email_CC and BCC?

CC stands for Carbon Copy, BCC stands for Blind Carbon Copy. These settings allow you to set addresses to send a copy of the email to. A copy of the email will be sent to CC address, The user will be able to see the CC Address in the header to know that a copy was also sent there. Using BCC, the user will not see the address in the header. see the following for more information:
cc_and_bcc.htm

There are three separate email that can be sent from the user registration solution pack:

a) one will be sent when the user first registers to prompt them to verify their email address:
$WAGLOBAL_Registration_Email_Subject
$WAGLOBAL_Registration_Email_FROM
$WAGLOBAL_Registration_Email_CC
$WAGLOBAL_Registration_Email_BCC

b) if the user logs in and has not verified their email address, they can click a button to have the email sent again:
$WAGLOBAL_Verification_Email_Subject
$WAGLOBAL_Verification_Email_FROM
$WAGLOBAL_Verification_Email_CC
$WAGLOBAL_Verification_Email_BCC

c) When a user forgets their password, they can request the password be sent to them:
$WAGLOBAL_Password_Email_Subject
$WAGLOBAL_Password_Email_FROM
$WAGLOBAL_Password_Email_CC
$WAGLOBAL_Password_Email_BCC

3) What is your password??

This is the password that you set for the Admin user of the user registration solution pack. it is the password you will use the log into the pages in the admin folder.

4) Admin username ?

This is the username that you set for the Admin user of the user registration solution pack. it is the username you will use the log into the pages in the admin folder.

jekan116017

Thank you

Thank you so much for your informative reply, I will do these things and get back to you asap. My deepestrespects
Dr Je Kan Adler_Collins

kattyblink341141

add new fields

Hi,
I read the information you gave to a previous user about how to add new fields to the user registration but I was confused about where EXACTLY to go to start to do that? I would like to add a place where people can upload resumes and pictures. I would also like to add other form fields like height, hair color talents etc. I would appreciate any help you can give me as I have been trying to do this for months now. Thanks

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

On the registration page, you would need to add your new form fields inside the existing registration form.

You will also need to modify t he users table of the database by adding new columns to hold the information from the new form fields.

After you have added the form fields to the registration form and the new columns to your database, you would have to use Digital File Pro to add the image / resume upload functionality.

the final step is to double click the insert record server behavior on the registration page to bind the new form elements to the respective database columns. For the image upload fields, see the "How to apply Digital File Pro to DataAssist Insert and Update pages" tutorial in the How To section of the DFP Support page:
digital-file-pro/

this will walk through getting the file names into the database.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...