close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Slide Color Effect only on 75% of button

Thread began 1/10/2012 11:05 pm by Mark_Rinella291330 | Last modified 5/17/2012 2:28 am by Ian S | 1970 views | 6 replies |

Mark_Rinella291330

Slide Color Effect only on 75% of button

Hello,
www.AASHE.com

I stretched the button to 175 wide instead of the default 144 px.

The transperant white/slide over effect only covers 75% of the menu item.

I believe the change may need to happen in the code, in the style sheet, but I am not sure where.

Can you please help?
Thanks!
Mark

Sign in to reply to this post

Ian S

Your Gradient image size is only 150px by 4px so it will never fit a 175px width area.

Cheers
Ian

dan317597

Solution PLEASE!

Originally Said By: Ian S
  Your Gradient image size is only 150px by 4px so it will never fit a 175px width area.

Cheers
Ian  

Is that an acceptable answer?!?!? I think not. What if I need/want a menu block that is wider than 150px? Geez! . . . Please offer a solution.

I have been trying all kinds of things, trying to figure out why the gradient was not filling the width of the menu item once I expanded the width (mine is now 180px). If this particular design can not be made any wider, there should be some indication of that when I'm editing the width in the wizard. Really, though, it seems lame that it can't be whatever width I want.

Is there a way to create my own gradient and replace the 150px one (preferrably in the WA resources location so it will be available for any future menus created for other sites)?

Ian (do you work for WA?), please respond with a solution!

- Dan

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the image being used for the background is found here:
grad.jpg

like Ian has already stated, this image is set to a width of 150px, to be able to use this image as a gradient background for your design, it will need to be edited to be 175px wide to match the menu width you are trying to create.

In the menu writer wizard, you can click the Edit design button to make design changes, if you want to use a custom image file, go to the design tab, then click the hover tab you can select an image to use for the a tag, the span tag, or the LI tag.

on the CSS menu writer support page, in the archived documentation section, there is a tutorial named "Changing the Design to use custom button images" that you may find helpful, it was created for menu Writer 1 but the concepts are still applicable.
css-menu-writer/

Ian S is not a WebAssist employee, but he is a very helpful member of this forum.

Ian S

Originally Said By: dan317597
  Is that an acceptable answer?!?!? I think not. What if I need/want a menu block that is wider than 150px? Geez! . . . Please offer a solution.
- Dan  

Oh dear...... this is a simple matter of metrics. If you have a graphic that is a fixed width size, then its container needs to be the same size otherwise it won't fill it. If you try and stretch a gradient graphic, you will distort the gradient. Do you even know how computer graphics and pixels work?

Ian (do you work for WA?), please respond with a solution!  

No, I'm a web developer in the UK and I offer any advice on these forums because its how I was able to learn how things work and I try to give a little bit back where I can to people who genuinely want to understand what they are doing in order to better service their customers. I enjoy coming onto the forums and even after 6 years I still find myself learning things that help me to provide better solutions. I believe its called a community.

You want a solution? If you build websites for a living, and charge people for the service, then spend some time understanding what you are actually doing :-)

I'm always happy to help, but only if the recipient wants to be helped.

Cheers

Ian

Deeeep breath..... and on with my evening :-)

dan317597

Originally Said By: Ian S
  <CONTENT_SNIPPED> . . . Do you even know how computer graphics and pixels work?
. . . <CONTENT_SNIPPED>
...You want a solution? If you build websites for a living, and charge people for the service, then spend some time understanding what you are actually doing :-)

I'm always happy to help, but only if the recipient wants to be helped.

Cheers

Ian

Deeeep breath..... and on with my evening :-)  

Ian,

I can see that my post reflected no small bit of frustration, and I erroneously assumed you worked for WA, and so I was only too quick to consider your response a dead-end when I was seeking a solution.

I'll try to consider your comments (above) to not be intended as hurtful. But, yes, I do know a bit about pixels! And, yes, I really want to be helped! And, yes, I would like to be a part of a learning and sharing community. (And, FWIW, I am NOT charging my client for my learning curve here.)

And I thank you, especially, for your reminder to breathe deeply. I was in a very bad mood when I posted.

Thanks and peace!

- Dan (who is very grateful also to Jason who supplied very useful information that will, hopefully, make this work.)

Ian S

No worries Dan.

Cheers
Ian

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...