close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Can only load small files?

Thread began 7/18/2009 8:18 pm by sam308940 | Last modified 7/23/2009 11:21 am by troyd | 5228 views | 15 replies |

sam308940

Can only load small files?

Im having an issue with the size of the files I am able to load using DFP 2. It seems I can only load files less than 1mb (or so). anything else runs out of space.

I contacted my host.... my php.ini file memorysize is set to 64, and that is all that they allow. they said my script is taking too long.

is there any work around?
i need this to work for loading files up to 5mb.

This is the error that I get when I try to load a file that is 1.8MB

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 45613056) (tried to allocate 16000 bytes) in /home/CLIENTSACCOUNT/WA_DigitalFilePro/HelperPHP.php on line 823

thanks in advance
sam

Sign in to reply to this post

CraigRBeta Tester

at the top of your page, try increasing the limit from 64Mb

<?php ini_set("memory_limit","64M"); ?>

sam308940

thanks. i tried that and it didnt make a difference. the hosting company told me also that if i changed the ini file to more than 64MB that it wouldnt matter because they have an override on the whole server.

does it sound right that the 64MB limit would only allow a 1mb file to be uploaded via DFP2? seems not right to me. should beable to load a much larger file!

sam

CraigRBeta Tester

Don't know about your script, but i found i needed 45Mb to upload, resize and create a thumbnail for a 2mb image.

most isp's won't let you edit php.ini, mine won't, hence the ini_set method.
it doesn't affect php ini, but it does give you more memory

try increasing to 100mb and try a file which fails at 64mb and see what you get

<?php ini_set("memory_limit","100M"); ?>

sam308940

the hosts ini file is already set to 64. and i get an error if the file is over 1. so something is wrong. you are able to load

i tried your method and set the memory to 128 but i still got an error.

if you can load and resize in 45mb for 2mb image, i should beable to do a lot more with 64.

i think i will post a tech support ticket to find out whats going on.

troyd

I can't load images 1 Meg or larger

Has anyone figured this one out?

I've tried using version201 and 202 of DFP 2.

This is added to a DataAssist insert form. Everything works perfectly if I choose an image that is less than 1 Meg. But if I try anything bigger, it just goes to a white page and no record is created.

The file is uploaded twice at full size and given a very long string of numbers as the name. The second version has "temp" added to it.

I'm doing this locally on my local testing server in "MAMP". I will gladly include more info if needed.

Thanks,
Troy

office377308

If the server is Apache

you could create a .htaccess file with a texteditor which should be placed in your root directory.
put the following line into the file:

php_value memory_limit 16M

or whatever limit you like. Most ISPs accept this.

sam308940

no i havent resolved it. I put in a tech support ticket with webassist. they responded telling me to increase my memory setting in the ini file. (kind of annoying since i specifically stated in the support ticket that it was set to 64mb which is the highest the host offers). i responded to them with more questions - but i havent heard back - its been 2 days now. hopefully ill hear today.

i did find this and it has worked GREAT, i was able to load a 20mb file!
php_upload_form

however - i doesnt make a thumbnail which i need.

so - i also found this - but i have not been able to get it to work:
php-image-resizing.php

my idea was to use the upload page to just complete the upload and rename of the file. (link 1 above) this leaves the original file loaded (which I need for my purposes). Then on the upload confirmation page, i wanted to run the second script (link 2 above), which grabs any specified image on the server, resizes it and gives it a new name. But the error that i get is the with the folder structure. my system keeps telling me theres errors. I think i was defining things wrong (im not so good at php writing).

Hope something here helps you - and maybe you can help me get taht 2nd part working.

sam

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The error occurs when trying to open GD2 to adjust the image size and create the thumbnail, so it is no surprise that you don't have the problem when you don't create the thumb.

Unfortunately from my research it appears GD2 can be a memory hog for large image manipulation and the only solution is to increase the memory. If your host won't allow it, then there may be no solution webassist can offer short of trying to hand code a solution using imageMagic instead of GD2, which is supposed to handle large files better, but there will still be a size limit based on the memory available. Image editing takes a lot of memory... it is easy to see that when you open a program like photoshop or fireworks and see how much memory they take.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

troyd

Ray,

What would you consider large image manipulation? In my case, it won't resize an image 1 Meg in size. This might be unrelated to the issue at the start of this thread. But I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread. It sounded similar.
I do have a ticket started. They told me to try the beta version, which I did. And that didn't fix it in my case.

My local testing server is set to 32 Meg file upload in the php.ini. Is that too low for a 1 Meg file to be resized?

It might be something I have set wrong in my insert form, but it works great for small files.

Thanks,
Troy

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...