close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Modify Registration in ecart

Thread began 12/16/2011 6:16 am by bill3786 | Last modified 1/10/2012 11:26 am by Jason Byrnes | 1817 views | 12 replies |

bill3786

Modify Registration in ecart

I'd like to add one or two extra address fields in the registation page and make it more UK friendly (and still retain the worldwide option). My own address always needs extra lines on most ecommerce sites I use.

I would do this by adding the extra address columns in the database and the same extra fields in registration, checkout and confirm.

I would change the labels on the registration and checkout pages as follows
"Zip" to "Post Code or Zip"
"State" to "County or State"
"City" to "Town or City"

I notice however that the registration page has a text field for State but a dropdown menu in checkout, why is this?

Can you confirm that this can be done or is it more complex than I think and should be left alone.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the registration page would not have been created by eCart. It would have been created by Security Assist, in security assist you have to specify an element to be a select list for security assist to create it as one, other wise, it will create the element as a standard text box.

Quote:
"I would do this by adding the extra address columns in the database and the same extra fields in registration, checkout and confirm."

yes, that is correct, you will also need to update the Insert record behavior on the registration page to store the info from these new text fields.

bill3786

Only just started to attempt this.

I want to add an extra optional address field like the "Address 2" field. Am I correct in assuming that this field and the extra duplicate field are optional and could be left blank if not required by the user when completing registration? Is it only "Address" which is mandatory?

My initial approach was to add a field called "Address 3" below "Address 2" by copying the "Address 2" field code and pasting it directly below "Address 2" and then changing all references from 2 to 3 for the "Address 3" field.

However there is a lot of additional relevant code in this page so I'm sure this is not the correct way to achieve this.

Can you confirm that this approach is wrong and if so what is the correct method (is it by editing the form properly using the links in properties inspector)?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

A form field is only required if you set it to be required in the server validation server behavior.

The server validation server behavior is where you control what form fields are required and which are not.

to add a new form filed to the registration page, place your cursor where the new field should be added, then go to Insert -> Form -> Text Field to add a new text field, in the box that comes up, give the text filed a name and ID.

After adding the new form element, you will need to edit the insert record behavior. go to Window -> Server behaviors to open the server behaviors list and double click the insert record behavior.

you will need to select a database column, click the lightning bolt next to value and select the new text field to have the information entered in the form stored in the database.

bill3786

Opening the server behaviour brings up the Dataassist Insert Single Record window instead of the Insert Record wizzard.

The former doesn't give the option of selecting a database column.

bill3786

Just realised that you have to click on Bindings in the Insert Record server behaviour window to do this. Sorry!

bill3786

I tried your suggestion for adding the extra address field to the registration page but obviously it wasn't styled the same as the other fields so I then tried the method I described in my earlier post by copying, pasting and editing the Address2 field code to produce the Address3 field code.

I also used the same method to add Address3 code in the $WA_fieldNamesStr area of the registration page, not sure if this was essential.

I also used the same method to add the extra Addres3 fields to the checkout and confirm pages.

Everything seems to work except for one issue. When the checkbox is selected to copy the billing info to the shipping info on the checkout page the new Address3 info does not copy to the shipping area on both the checkout and confirm pages.

Can you resolve this issue and can you see any unforseen problems with this whole approach.

Attached Files
checkout.zip
confirm.zip
registration.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you need to edit the WA_eCart/scripts/copyShipping.js file to include the new form elements in the billingFields and shippingFields array.

bill3786

Works great, many thanks. Nearly gave up but glad I continued!

bill3786

While doing some final testing I discovered the following problem.

The registration page has a text field for State which I have renamed County or State. For UK users a visitor would enter a UK County.

On the checkout page the County is lost because the State field is a dropdown menu.

One solution would be to change the dropdown on the checkout page to a text field, any problems with this or is there a better solution?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...