close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Check New Username (ii)

Thread began 12/07/2011 5:23 am by cherry8723424721 | Last modified 12/07/2011 8:46 am by cherry8723424721 | 873 views | 2 replies |

cherry8723424721

Check New Username (ii)

Jason:

The function "Check New Username" requires an "Insert Behavior" to be present in the page. DW doesn't recognize WA's Insert Behavior as such. The problem is that if I use both DW's and WA's "Insert record" behaviors I end up inserting the same record twice.

As solution, in a previous thread you suggested:

"IN the insert record behavior, set the trigger to Recordset <your recordset> is empty. For the error message, use the Dreamweaver show region behavior. this will have a trigger option for recordset <your recordset name> not empty"

However, given that I'm using two "insert record" behaviors in the same page, I would like to kindly ask you to be a bit more sepcific about this. Sorry to have to come back to this same issue, but the solution I thought I had found is not working well after all.

Thank you for your attention

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

well, you should not be using 2 insert record behaviors in the same page.

only use one insert record behavior.

Can I ask why you need to use the DataAssist insert record behavior?

In most registration forms, using the Dreamweaver Insert Record behavior is sufficient.

If you are going to use the Data Assist insert record behavior, you cannot use the Dreamweaver check new user name behavior. you will need to use another method of checking the username.

this involves creating a recordset to lookup the username that was entered, and using the Server validation behaviors from css form builder to make sure the recordset does not return any results.

before we get into the steps involved in doing that, though, i would like to determine if it is actually necessary.

cherry8723424721

Jason:

You're right. Why use two IRB's? I was using WA's insert record behavior because I was uploading photos and needed to insert the serverFileName in the DB, which I thought DW's insert record behavior was unable to do. And I was using DW's IRB because it's required to use the Check New Username behavior.

No doubt the solution you outline in your reply would have worked, but while contamplating this issue earlier on, I decided to change my approach to it a bit and now it turns out I won't need to use those two IRB's anymore.

In any case, thank you for your attention.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...