close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Dynamic suite

Thread began 11/30/2011 4:39 am by denisotoole1321613 | Last modified 12/01/2011 6:31 am by Jason Byrnes | 2049 views | 3 replies |

denisotoole1321613

Dynamic suite

Hi,
I’m developing my own site for music downloads to my customers. I have the dynamic suite and have applied all the techniques available via the tutorials. I have signed up with PayPal standard business account. I have 3 questions regarding your software.
Q1:
How do I stop an order register in the database when confirm is pressed before going to the PayPal standard account. If a customer decides to cancel at the PayPal stage, a record of paying is shown in the orders database. I need to stop this. Would the same result happen if I used a gateway like Authrize.net?
Q2:
Is it better to develop work in localhost mode or develop work from the server? Is there a difference in order for the code to work?
Q3:
I followed the tutorials on customer order history and download centre and when I test the site locally I get a no record message, even though there are orders in the database. How do I resolve this?
Thank you for your time. Denis OToole.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

1) When using paypal standard, the order needs to be stored in the database when the cehckout page posts to the confirm page since the confirm page sends the user to the paypal site.

in the orders table, you should have a column to store the order status. In the database set the default value for this column to pending, this way when an order is saved, it will be marked as pending.

One of the dificulties with paypal standard (And why i never recommend it as a gateway option) is that it does not process transactions in real time. When the user is returned from the paypal site to your site, there is no way to know whether the transaction has been processed successfully or not.

you would need to use the paypal IPN System which send the results of the transaction to a page you set up on your site to update the status of the order from pending to success or failure based on the results of the ipn post.

see the following for more details on IPN:
ipn

2) When testing checkout, you should test on the remote server, the local server may not have all of the needed libraries enabled.

3) This one is a big question. double check that the users ID is being stored in the order User ID column of the orders table.

your login page will store the user id value in a session variable, the tutorial examples use a session variable named UserID, double check the name of the session being created by the login page and make sure that you are using the correct session name in the recordsets.

denisotoole1321613

Thanks

Thanks Jason for your reply. I'll try/checks you sultion to Q3 and would I be much simpler If I used a gateway like Authrize.net (more expensive I know). But would this cut down the proceedure steps.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

In eCart the gateways are broken down into 2 categories:
* Local Checkout
* Remote Checkout

any of the local checkout options are easier to deal with the remote checkout options in terms of set up, though they do have a little more overhead in terms of monthly fees and purchasing an SSL certificate.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...