close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Moving from ADDT to WA products?

Thread began 3/19/2009 6:07 am by web_assist_mail157665 | Last modified 8/06/2009 7:35 pm by sales281885 | 2610 views | 3 replies |

web_assist_mail157665

Moving from ADDT to WA products?

Hi Guys

looks like I'm moving from ADDT to the WA product line.

Briefly (it would be a great help)

Anything that ADDT currently does that that Web Developer suite doesn't

Anything that Web Developer suite currently does that that ADDT doesn't (apart from e-cart)

tia

Paul

Sign in to reply to this post

jay281136

I use ADDT and WA Supersuite with no issues. I like the convenience of the ADDT and the many tools and functions that WA does not do. So if you purchased ADDT, I suggest keeping it along side of WA products. One product certainly does no replace the other.

Brad Lawryk

The list is many of which WA doesn't do, or in the odd case does but with great amount of tweaking compared to ADDT.

But having said that WA does have iRite and as you mentioned eCart. WA also does have other tools in the design portion that ADDT didn't have.

I am a Adobe Community Expert for ADDT and share the frustrations of many ADDT users. I am desperately trying to get away from the ADDT and start using WA exclusively. But there is just so much WA can't do ... yet anyways.

I'm starting to get the hang of WA stuff, but wow, what a learning curve.

I won't get into which is better because it's just not professional to do so. But I will definitely say the WA has 100% more support than ADDT since Adobe took over from InterAKT.

My advice would be to use WA on any websites you plan on editing after CS5 comes out. By then hopefully I/we will have mastered the WA stuff! ;-)

Brad

sales281885

I agree with the others. Two completely different sets of tools that usually play nice together.

I use the "includes" extensively with ADDT, and that is missing with any WA products. I also notice some WA products don't like includes and lose their paths. Dyanamic menu for instance, I just can't get that to work with includes. Yet the old Interakt menu had no problems.

I personally prefer Nextensio Lists (ADDT) to WA's "Data Assist" (2 pages rather than 5) and I'm a die hard with KTML over iRite. KTML in ADDT (you need to hard code it) is still easier than iRite in my eyes. I fully understand that iRite is 1st generation, so it has a lot of room to grow.

eCart is Fabulous. I miss the ease of adding options and/or discounts through the database (like the old MX Kart used to do) but the WA system is much more flexible when a client says (I need this discount, on these products, when the price is more than xxx, but only xxx number of items in the cart, and a herd of buffalo walking by). Oddly enough, the WA system can do that - LOL! Well, not the buffalo, and it can only be done at the developer level, not by the client with a database entry.

I am really digging the ease of CSS Sculpter. Worth every penny, even if you just use it to analyze Eric Meyers code. Very good product.

Many are quick to abandon ADDT, but the code is very good in those products. With the odd tweak over the next 2 - 3 years you can make it last until a PHP version makes it obsolute. PHP 6 won't break it so we'll have to see what 7 brings, and that is going to be a few years down the road. Security is not really an issue. Most security problems are due to injection - and the folks at Interakt (Adobe?) handle that well. It also doesn't take long to sanitize an incoming variable if it wasn't taken care of to begin with.

With that - the folks here at WA are working hard and making some great products. I am confident that by the time I absolutely need to drop the features ADDT has over WA they will have the solutions for it.

Good luck!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...