close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Dynamic Dropdown - used in conjunction with 'select value equal to'....

Thread began 10/25/2011 2:12 am by Demetri | Last modified 5/29/2014 10:42 am by pedstone | 10604 views | 35 replies |

Demetri

Dynamic Dropdown - used in conjunction with 'select value equal to'....

Hi

I have a form that uses dynamic dropdowns that allows record entry. I also have a form that allows to edit records, which is largely based on my input form but performs an update obviously.

Problem is that if I have the Dynamic Dropdowns in place, then add a 'Select Value Equal to:' dynamic element to the box picking up value from recordset it stops the dropdowns working........

Any ideas on what needs to be amended for this to work?

many many thanks in advance, Demetri

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

instead of using the set value equal to option, you will need to apply the following Dynamic Drop Down Behaviors to the onLoad event of the body tag:

1) Set Selected In List - Target List: Parent List, Value: Use the binding from the recordset for the parent list

2) Populate List From Array - Set this up the same way you would for the Parent list form element on change event.

3) Set Selected in list - Target List: Child List List, Value: Use the binding from the recordset for the child list

Demetri

Thanks for the reply Jason, I have tried to follow your instructions which you kindly put forward but could you provide some more step by step instructions?

I'm not sure what I am applying to what box......

Are you aware of an example that works in the way?

Really appreciated.
Demetri

Demetri

Ok, I noticed what you are referring to are the options available off the 'WA Dynamic Dropdowns' behaviours menu.

Now, the current form populates corrently with 4 dropdowns each being populated dependant on the previous selection. But as this is an edit page, as I say although I still want it to populate the dropdowns in the manner it is doing, I want it to start from a position based on record retrieval (result of a recordset).

Hope this makes sense.

So what do I need to change/add in terms of behaviours for dropdowns?

Thank you!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

for each select list you need to apply the Set Selected In List / Populate List From Array combination to the body tags onLoad event.

using the body tags onload event allows you to set the lists to an initial state based on what is stored in the database for the record that is being edited.

Demetri

Hi, in Dreamweaver on each of the boxes (apart from the last one of four), they have OnChange - Populate List From Array. There is no option to add an OnLoad even for Set Selected In List.........

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you need to select the body tag in the tag selector, then add the behaviors to body tags onload event.

Demetri

Ok, so I found the general body tag and the onload option.

At what point do I refer to the recordset that holds the values selected for the record retreived that is being edited?

From what I gather from what you say I am adding the onload behaviours to the body tag but using the existing recordsets setup which populate the lists in the first place.....

sorry....

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, the populate list from array behaviors will be set exactly the same as on the onchange event for the select list. The Set Selected in List behavior will be set to use the main recordset that returns the information to be updated.

evansg7124312885

Little confusion on the child list

Good morning,

I am working on a user update page. The Drop down is working fine on the registration where user selects their country and then related state. When user goes to update page, the country populates to the initial country (set up by the drop box recordset values, labels, and initial value), but the state is empty and you must change country to populate the list of states.

The post above appears to be the same type of problem. I am doing OK with this except for the third step, use the binding from the recordset. Should I set this to the "state" option that appears in the drop down options within the behavior set up (same as was done with the Country drop box on change behavior) or do I need to be working somewhere else to bind the state list initial value to the state that is already in the user details record set?

Second thought on this, I have been working with the same record set which lists all countries and states. In the "body" OnLoad behavior, should I be using the recordset that contains the user details where initially we have 1 country, and 1 state value within the record set? If so, is it possible to have all states listed if the user clicks on the child list (someone moves to another state, but still in the same country) or will the user have to change the country to enable the state list to populate?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...