close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

How to subtract a session value from a database table value in a recordset

Thread began 9/05/2011 3:56 am by hbibizadeh396670 | Last modified 9/07/2011 1:00 pm by Jason Byrnes | 2429 views | 3 replies |

hbibizadeh396670

How to subtract a session value from a database table value in a recordset

I have used data assist to create a search able list of my users, and then a way to set up a bill them.

When I bill them a record in the database is made, which has their id in a id field.

Then, on the users cp, I filter that table for the records which has their id.

This way they see there bills.

I then made a PayPal button which is dynamic for the billing amount and so on.

After they pay they come back to my site where I want a simple calculation to be done.

I create a session var which they click the PayPal button for the amount.

On the success page, is there a way to take the session value, and subtract it from the another value in a recordset used to show their overall balance.

Hope I explained this well enough, if you need more info just ask.

Thanks...

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

something like this should do the trick:

php:
<?php echo(floatval($row_recordsetName['ColumnName']) - floatval((isset($_SESSION['sessionName'])?$_SESSION['sessionName']:0))); ?>

hbibizadeh396670

I have a small issue.

When the user returns after paying for a bill, I need to change a field in the database to paid.

I want to do this on the success page. Could you tell me how to do this.

I am using the standard PayPal buttons. I thought that if I made a session value of the bill ID when the user clicks the PayPal button I could use the session on the success page to filter a record set for the bill that has been paid for, and then use the data assist to update the field on page load.

Not sure if this is possible because when I open cookies tool kit to make the session it does not see the PayPal button.

Could you tell me how to do this?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the problem with paypal payment buttons is that it is not a real time payment method.

just because the user is directed back to the success page, does not mean the payment has been made successfully. it only means that paypal has accepted the payment method and has placed the transaction in a queue to be processed with the merchant bank.

Paypal uses a system called IPN to send a post to your site with the status of the transaction once it is actually processed. you would need to create a page to accept the IPN post and update the database based on the results of the paypal IPN post.

for more details on paypal IPN see the following page:
ipn

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...