close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

checkout page validation... help!

Thread began 9/01/2011 2:02 pm by info105077 | Last modified 9/29/2011 9:05 am by Jason Byrnes | 2274 views | 5 replies |

info105077

checkout page validation... help!

Hi Guys

I'm just a bit confused. I am trying to apply server side validation to the checkout form.

Now I'm pretty sure I add the server validation behaviour to the "confirm page" by ie
applying the validation to the ecartcheckoutform_email session, with a redirect back to
the "checkout page" where I then applied a validation show if.

My problem is regardless of the type of server validation i do the the page just fails and
redirects back to "checkout page"

worst of all it wipes out all the data in the fields previously entered

www.toners-footwear.com

any thoughts greatly appreciated

have included screen shots of the server validation and show if hoping it might help

Russ

PS have taken off validation(temporarily) from the page as would rather have orders

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You are correct that the validation behavior needs to be added to the confirm page, but you should not be validating the Session collection, you should be validating the form elements

Instead of using the Session variables, expand the checkout form collection on the binding panel, and select to use form elements.

Once you have the server validation set up, you will need to add the validation show if behaviors to the checkout page in order to display validation error messages.

In the validation show if behavior, make sure to set the validation page to the confirm page.

After applying he validation show if behavior, you can set the initial value of the form elements so that entered data that is correct will be remembered.

select each form element in design view, then in the property inspector, click the lightning bolt next to Initial Value, in the binding panel, expand the Validated Entries binding group and select the corresponding binding.

info105077

UNable to see form elements on page 'confirm.php

Thank you again for the assistance Jason but I am still missing something.

In as, when expanding the bindings panel for the confirm.php page there are no checkout form elements only those within the session variables.

I see the 'checkout.php' form elements but the validations would then occur on the checkout page and not the confirm page.

I am sorry to seem thick but could you just clarify what you mean by form elements

have attached my two pages in the hope you can push me in the right direction

Russ

Attached Files
checkout.pdf
confirm.pdf

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

on the confirm page, go to the bindings panel, click the plus button and select Form Data. In the form data dialog, click the folder icon and select the checkout page.

this will add dynamic data bindings for the checkout form to the confirm page.

Web Designer Troy

Validated Entries Binding not working with eCart's checkout

I have a question on the same topic.

When the user wants to modify the checkout form in eCart, all data is still lost although I'm using the "Validated Entries" binding. (I'm also validating with Spry).

Sample with problem: checkout.php

It works fine with regular forms like here: contact.php

Am I missing something or is some other function taking place to destroy my data?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the validated entries binding is only populated when the form fails validation.

if the form passes validation, the form data is stored in session variables using the following naming convention:
eCartCheckoutForm_<element name>

where <element name> is the name of the form element.

you should make sure that the failed redirect in the server validation behavior on the confirm page passes a querystring variable, for example:
checkout.php?valid=false

then in the in initail value, use an isset() ternary expression to use either the validated entries, or session value, for example:

php:
<?php echo((isset($_GET['valid']))?(ValidatedField("confirm","firstName")):(isset($_SESSION["eCartCheckoutForm_firstName"])?$_SESSION["eCartCheckoutForm_firstName"]:"")); ?>

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...