close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Framework Theme

Thread began 7/22/2011 11:15 am by Cologne | Last modified 3/06/2012 11:34 pm by dvan_zelst | 3178 views | 14 replies |

Cologne

Framework Theme

Hi there,

sorry, but I dont understand the Theme thing in Framework Builder?
I created a simple DW Template and changed it into a Framework Builder Theme.

And now?

The featured video, stops where it gets interesting :-(

I red some threats here but still dont understand, what I can do with it. The thing is more I understand what it can do, but dont know how.

Why should I change my DW Template into a FB theme, when it is only for the design?

What is the diffrence:

Create Theme ---> thats what I did
Create Page with Theme ---> I did that, too

but what is...

Apply Theme
Apply Dynamic Theme ---> this seems to change the Theme(template) itself depending on the trigger.

So, if I want to create 4 diffrent pages from my template I first do CREATE THEME. and then I do 4 times CREATE PAGE WITH THEME. right?

and in that created pages I can use the FB plug ins, right?

What is the use of it, to use FB buildes themes insted of DW themes in this case?

I think a nice tutorial about what to use the thmes for would be nice :-)

cheers
Denis

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The advantage of themes over DW templates is simple:

1) If you update your theme you don't have to update all of the pages that are derived from it. If you update a DW template and have 1000 pages on your site you would have to update all 1000 pages, with themes you just update the one theme page.

2) With DW templates you can either have the php code above the <html> come from the template and be locked on the page, or come from the page and be ignored on the template. Themes allows you to add php code to the theme and to the pages and they both work independently.

3) You can actually have more than one theme for a given piece of content. If you are using a DW template, that is your template and to change your template you need to update the page. The theme is fully dynamic, so you could actually have the equivalent of multiple different templates for any given page that could be personalized by the end user, admin, or developer without having to update the code.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Cologne

:_) hey ray,

now it brings light into the thing :-)

it is just for changing the THEME (template) itself, right. I create all my pages from the FB theme. then I make a change in my DW template and the I dont have to change or upload the changes, in the way i have to do when i only use DW templates, right?

the create page from theme is just like the new page from template, right?

aplly theme, what does that mean?

Cheers
Denis

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Sounds about right.

Apply theme is used to transfer a page from a DW template to a WA Theme.

Cologne

Hi Ray,

I am getting deeper and deeper :-)

I tried some apply dynamic theme :-)

change.php

if you enter

change.php?s=1

it changes the color.

Great, I will use this for my members, they can choose the color and I will trigger a cookie or session whatecer :-)

Cool extension!

Cheers
Denis

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Right, and the changes don't have to be minor like color. It can literally change the entire look and feel of the site. This is how we created the Themes for powerstore and cafe commerce.

Cologne

Thanks for the support!

Jenny I

I wish I Understood

I have read this thread twice but I still cannot understand themes. I have used FB to build dynamic plugins but I have never been able to understand how to create dynamic themes. I will explain my process becuase maybe I am doing something wrong becuase my theme page only ever shows my editable regions.

1. I create my plugin pages - Header, Footer, Sidebar
2. I create a dreamweaver template
3. I go to Webassist> Framework> Plugin > Insert Plugin. I insert my Header, Footer, Sidebar individually as static plugins on my DWT template.
4. I create my Main Content editable region.
5. I then convert my DWT to a theme e.g. Webassist> Framework> Themes > Create Theme. This creates a new folder with my theme page. The theme page is a blank page with my editable regions.

The next step is where I may be going wrong

6. I create my index.php page by creating a new page from my DWT template.

Should I be using Webassist> Framework> Themes > Create Page From Theme instead?

7. I use my index.php to hold all my dynamic plugin pages using $_GET['']

If for example I wanted to create different styled web pages and wanted to allow a user to change styles by clicking a link how would I fit this in to the process I have just described using dynamic themes?

Your help is much appreciated

Cologne

Hey Jenny,

FB works fine. If you create a FB theme you only see the edit able regions no design, thats how it looks in my DW design view, too.

You need to do:

Webassist> Framework> Themes > Create Page From Theme

You need to change the links that the extension creates in the code view. if you change the link, you can see what FB does.

change your design of DW template. then just upload the changed DW template and all pages got the new design.

so you save a lot of time.

denis

Jenny I

Hi Denis

I think I understand you but I am still abit confused.

I changed my step 6 to:-

6. I create my index.php page by going to Webassist> Framework> Themes > Create Page From Theme

7. I add my dynamic plugin pages to the editable regions on my index.php page using a url parameter $_GET['']

Now the next step I would like to take is to allow a user to customise thier page lets say for example change the font-color on the site how would I do this?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...