close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

validation prevents session values updating?

Thread began 7/12/2011 4:07 am by WhiteJC | Last modified 7/12/2011 9:02 am by Jason Byrnes | 1431 views | 3 replies |

WhiteJC

validation prevents session values updating?

I’ve made a form with 4 fields, name, email, phone and question. Both the email and name have validations, phone and question don’t.

Each field is populated by sessions with the values “your name”, “your email” etc. These sessions are created only if they don’t exist. (first time you visit the page?)

These session values should then be updated, when the submit button is pressed, with the content of their respective boxes, however if the validation is activated the sessions aren’t updated, they are if the validation isn’t shown. To test this I’ve successfully completed and submitted the form and then reloaded the page which then shows the form complete with the amended sessions.

I’m assuming that when the validation comes into effect this stops the sessions being updated, how can I ensure that the sessions are updated?

Any ideas?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

make sure that the code to update the sessions is before the validation code.

WhiteJC

Thanks

I moved all of the 'set session' code above the validation code and it now works!

Interestingly, I added another session and this was automatically placed below the validation code so I had to move it above

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you're welcome.

the idea with validation is to validate form input before using it.

your workflow is going around this a little, where you are using it in the sessions regardless of the validation, so any set session behaviors will need to be moved manually.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...