close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Conditional Validation not removing spry error validation

Thread began 7/07/2011 9:31 am by ijs174940 | Last modified 7/13/2011 11:55 am by Jason Byrnes | 3061 views | 7 replies |

ijs174940Beta Tester

Conditional Validation not removing spry error validation

Not sure if I missed something out but I have followed the help docs but I still get the same result.

I have made form in CSS FB2 and added fields that are required also with error message and all works well but I have options in the form that would remove the required status of other options so in the Conditional Validation behaviour I selected the form element (radio button) and select the target form element and select stop validation. However the form still processes the field as required?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

IJS

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the client side conditional validation cannot be used in conjunction with spry validation. they are 2 different scripts.

if you are going to use conditional validation, you cannot use spry validation as well on the conditional field.

ijs174940Beta Tester

Just so i get this straight, the validation in CCS FB has to be removed and then I have to add server side validation for the Conditional to work?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the spry validation has to be removed

you can then use the conditional client side validation

you can use server side valiation for the elements that are not conditional

ijs174940Beta Tester

I now have an issue removing the validation that CSS FB adds when making the form.

Even if remove the warning text from the set and make sure that validation required box is unticked the form will not submit and highlights the fields that were previously required? (this is in the preview)

Do I have to go into the code and remove the spry validations at the bottom of the page in the final version?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you can have the spry validation not added to the form by clicking the Edit CSS Button next to the design select list in the main Form Builder UI, form the select list, select validations, and for type, uncheck client

if the form has already been created with spry validation, then yes, you will need to remove it from the fields that you want to be conditional.

ijs174940Beta Tester

This extension appeared to offer so much but so far I have had nothing but problems with it and as with all WA extensions there is little in the way of detailed instructions that explain what can be done and how!

If this is starting to sound like a rant you may be right but after spending over 2 days trying to make a simple contact form is it any wonder!

To address you last reply, it appears that you are saying that in order to make a form with no validation you have to set these options first before you even start the design of the form otherwise you will need to remove the spry validations by hand coding as even if the options are set not to validate it still will.

I have attached a few screen dumps to show the issues I have been having and for me a web developer of over 10 years this extension was supposed to make form authoring a breeze when in fact I could have hand coded the same form in DW in less than an hour!

All I simply want to do it make certain fields validate based on the value of other fields but apparently this is not possible with the default form made by CSS FB so I remove the validation from the element and in the custom css options, but I still get the validation messages, I then remove the spry validation code at the footer of the page eg.

**********\/**CODE**\/*************

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
var Appointment_Required_Address_field_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationTextarea("Appointment_Required_Address_field_Spry", "none");
var Appointment_Required_Date_of_birth_field_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationTextField("Appointment_Required_Date_of_birth_field_Spry", "date", { format:'mm/dd/yyyy' });
var Appointment_Required_Email_field_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationTextField("Appointment_Required_Email_field_Spry", "none", { isRequired:false });
var Appointment_Required_Do_you_have_an_exisiting_appointment_field_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationSelect("Appointment_Required_Do_you_have_an_exisiting_appointment_field_Spry");
var Appointment_Required_When_field_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationTextField("Appointment_Required_When_field_Spry", "date", { format:'mm/dd/yyyy' });
var Appointment_Required_Do_you_wish_to_cancel_it_field_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationSelect("Appointment_Required_Do_you_wish_to_cancel_it_field_Spry");
var Appointment_Required_Do_you_want_to_make_a_new_appointment_field_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationSelect("Appointment_Required_Do_you_want_to_make_a_new_appointment_field_Spry");
var Appointment_Required_What_time_of_day_is_best_for_you_field_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationSelect("Appointment_Required_What_time_of_day_is_best_for_you_field_Spry");
var Appointment_Required_Remarks_field_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationTextarea("Appointment_Required_Remarks_field_Spry", "none");
var Appointment_Required_group_Security_Question_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationTextField("Appointment_Required_group_Security_Question_Spry", "none");
//-->
</script>
**********/\**CODE**/\*************

And it appears to stop validating, great! But as soon as I edit the form the extension puts it back in!! Also there are replications of JQuery datepicker functions in the header? it is as if the extension cannot recognise its own code!

Can some please explain how the validation system works in this extension and what are the pro and cons of each use, in my case how you can use conditional validations with a form created by this extension.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have created a support ticket so we can look into this issue further.

To view and edit your support ticket, please log into your support history:
supporthistory.php

If anyone else is experiencing this same issue, please append to this thread.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...