close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Options (size, e.g.) on static item?

Thread began 7/08/2009 11:14 am by Peterson Design Studio - jefferis | Last modified 7/09/2009 11:28 am by Peterson Design Studio - jefferis | 3653 views | 9 replies |

Peterson Design Studio - jefferis

Options (size, e.g.) on static item?

Hi Ray,
I read through some other posts, but didn't see an exact match for this question.
A client's website has most of the "for sale items" in a database, but the client wants to add a single item that has multiple options: rings either in gold or white gold at one price, sterling at another price. The rings have size options and the sterling has birthstone options (the sizes and birthstones do not affect the price of the item). My query is not how to set up a drop down menu on a static page, but the method of sending that info for client selections to Paypal/credit card check out using eCart. Basically the client needs to know and not lose the ring size or birthstone selected when the order is processed... I don't know where to start on passing this information on through the shopping cart...

Is this possible to do with a static cart item? Or do I need to use a database?
Is there a tutorial on a how to use a multi-option order form for a single item?

Thanks,
Jeff

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You can always just append it to the name or description in paypal.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Originally Said By: Ray Borduin
  You can always just append it to the name or description in paypal.  

The site goes either to a Paypal Pro checkout page OR to paypal... but what I'm asking is how the option select is appended or passed to the checkout page... I mean normally with forms and php I work with the variables as a form submit and retain all the info, but I guess what I'm not sure is how this integrates with the eCart Add to Cart Button checkout to capture the variables and then pass them on...

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Just append the variables to the product name so instead of:

"Ring"

you would end up with:

"Size 10 White Gold Ring with Ruby"

Just append the variables to the product name so instead of:

"Ring"

you would end up with:

"Size 10 White Gold Ring with Ruby"  

I may be a little dense here, so forgive me... Say I have selectors:
gold colors size options stone options

Each of these options are selectable by a drop down or jump menu. I now have vars color, size, stone in the form field. Once the post is made with the Add to Cart button, I'm trying to envision how I append them to the cart description.... There isn't anything in the eCart Add to Cart dialog that will put those descriptors into the same name field... is there?
Or are you thinking of an alternate php form solution?
Thanks
Jeff

Ray BorduinWebAssist

1) Manually add your lists to the eCart checkout form using DW
2) Update your add to cart and specify the name like:

<?php echo($_POST['sizeListName']); ?> <?php echo($_POST['metalListName']); ?> Ring <?php echo($_POST['stoneListName']); ?>

1) Manually add your lists to the eCart checkout form using DW
2) Update your add to cart and specify the name like:

<?php echo($_POST['sizeListName']); ?> <?php echo($_POST['metalListName']); ?> Ring <?php echo($_POST['stoneListName']); ?>  

Thanks Ray, I'll attempt it from here...

BTW, is there an easy way (and safe way) to duplicate an eCart? What I'm thinking is that rather than having to redo all the shipping options, etc... A few modifications to a duplicated form would spare me some trouble....
Jeff

Ray BorduinWebAssist

All the settings are in the include file. You should be able to copy and change the name. You may have to do a global find and replace inside the file.

Okay, I'm missing a step here somewhere...
To the Add to Cart code in the header, I changed ATC item name to this:
$ATC_itemName = "SS WCH Pendant with Birthstone". $_POST['Birthstone'] ."";// column binding

In the Add to cart form on the same page, I added a jump menu:

<form name="LhunterCart_4_ATC_SS WCH_Birthstone" method="POST" action="<?php echo $_SERVER["PHP_SELF"]; ?><?php echo (isset($_SERVER["QUERY_STRING"]) && $_SERVER["QUERY_STRING"] != "")?"?".$_SERVER["QUERY_STRING"]:""; ?>">
<select name="Birthstone" id="Birthstone" onchange="MM_jumpMenu('parent',this,0)">
<option>Amethyst</option>
<option>Blue Topaz</option>
<option>Citrine</option>
<option>Garnet</option>
<option>Peridot</option>
</select>
<input type="hidden" name="LhunterCart_4_ID_Add" value="SS WCH <?php echo($_POST['Birthstone']); ?>" />
<input type="text" name="LhunterCart_4_Quantity_Add" value="1" size="4" >
<input type="submit" value="Add to Cart" name="LhunterCart_4_ATC">
</form>  

And to the cart.php page I added

<p class="eC_ItemLabel"><?php echo $LhunterCart->DisplayInfo("Name"); ?><?php echo($_POST['Birthstone']); ?></p>  

But the values are not transmitting to the name field on the cart page.

What am I missing?
Thanks
Jeff

Nevermind.... I got it to work. It must have not refreshed properly...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...