close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

No Support for ASP at Ver4?

Thread began 6/22/2011 7:50 am by mark226253 | Last modified 6/26/2011 10:54 am by Lon Winters | 1887 views | 5 replies |

mark226253

No Support for ASP at Ver4?

I've just upgraded to ver 4 as 3.07 is not supported by CS5.5
There no longer appears to be support for the ASP server model - Is this correct? If so why not!
I have a variety of sites using ASP that I'm no longer able to administer using UE?

Is there a way of extending UE4? Is there a workaround?
Please advise.

Sign in to reply to this post

Lon WintersBeta Tester

That's correct, UE 4 supports only PHP. Part of the reason is the inclusion of Digital File Pro, the other reason is the general move away from classic ?asP which even Microsoft doesn't even support.

I still have a few sites in ASP, but I also have UE2 which I have to uninstall 4, then install 2 at times. I never did get ver 3, sort of skipped over that, but I would like to have it.

Most of what I use UE 4 for is simple contact forms, so I will be gradually switching over those contact forms in the ?asP sites to PHP forms. They can be mixed to that degree, if on separate pages and if the Windows server has PHP installed.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Yes, we officially stopped supporting ASP in new extensions a couple of years ago now. The audience was dwindling and frankly the technology is antiquated and inferior to PHP. We found ourselves having to leave out really cool features since they weren't possible in ASP, it doubled our engineering and QA time, and at the end of the day ASP is a dying technology and we had to jump off that ship before it sank.

If you want to maintain ASP and PHP sites instead of always installing and uninstalling you can maintain two Configuration folders. One with all of your old ASP extensions and one with all of the new PHP ones. Then you can simply close dreamweaver and swap out Configuration folders to quickly uninstall and reinstall all of your extensions at once and without having to wait for the extension manager to do it.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Lon WintersBeta Tester

Thanks for the tip. How do you set up and maintain two configuration folders? Just rename the one you're not using, and when switching rename the one you want back to "Configuration".

Then will the extension manager only show installed extensions for a particular Configuration?

anonymous

Lon,

Yep... you could rename your config folder with the ASP extensions as configuration-asp and then just remove the "-asp" when you need to use it as your config. Just remember to rename the php one as well when you do it.

I also find it a good practice to make duplicates of your config folder when everything is working well. That way if you add another extension or some sort of configuration that throws Dreamweaver into all sort of errors, you can go back to your last known working configuration and not lose time trying to figure out where the problem is.

Best regards,

Brian

Lon WintersBeta Tester

Thanks Brian. I guess the best way to start would be to make a copy of the existing ones and use that one for ASP, rename as directed, boot up into the new one and uninstall UE4 and install UE2. That's the only real difference between the two. Then, as you suggest, make bakuos of both folders.

It's true about what a whacky confit folder can do. There was a topic on the Adobe forums where someone had a problem when the launched DW - The application window was just a small window showing only a couple items in the top menu and just a sliver of the workspace. The only solution was to remove/rename the confit folder and let DW rebuild it on the next launch.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...