close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Help please! Multiple options for products

Thread began 5/31/2011 2:35 pm by duncanp64426526 | Last modified 6/08/2011 8:31 am by duncanp64426526 | 3048 views | 12 replies |

duncanp64426526

Help please! Multiple options for products

Hi Guys,

I have an issue where I want to add multiple options for selected products. I'm using a database and i've read through the tutorial serveral times but I just can't get this right.

I've managed to add only the first option to the cart through my dynamic selection list, but I can't seem to pass the information from my product details page where the customer would pick the option they like along with the product and see that in the cart after hitting add to cart.

It always only adds the first option from my list even though the customer didn't choose it.

Can anybody please point me into the right direction? Do I need to create separate forms for my dropdown and add to cart button?

Thanks in advance,
Duncan.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

no, you do not need a separate form for the options and the add to cart, they should be part of the same form.

please send a copy of your page in a zip archive so I can see the code to find where the problem is.

duncanp64426526

Thanks jason, I actually went with another method where I created a separate table in my database that would list all the options per product ID. That seems to work for now where I just have an add to cart button for each option. The problem of course is when you have different option groups per product where its undesirable to have the different variations listed - ends up being like 10 options or so...

I still want to try and get the drop-down lists created, but I can't figure out how to add the selected item to the cart.

I'll create a new page and send it to you!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

have you seen the "Product Options with eCart" tutorial on the eCart support page:
ecart/

duncanp64426526

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  have you seen the "Product Options with eCart" tutorial on the eCart support page:
ecart/  

Yes, thats the one I tried to follow but I could not. I kept getting lost where they said one form was created automatically and they created the other manually. I also get lost where they pass the selected option to the cart?

Here is my page as it is now in the products details...

Product_Details.php?Product_ID=64

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the tutorial is broken down into 2 part:
1) Options that do not effect price.

2) Options that do effect price.

With options that do not effect price, you can set the eCart add to cart button to create the select list for you by setting the option column to be updateable from a select list, then populate the select list with the option names.

Options that do effect price are a bit trickier. when the option effects the price, you need to create the select list manually, then use a recordset to Lookup the name of the option and the price increment value. you can use the returned values in the add to cart button.

it doesn't look like your options are effecting the price, so you can skip the other part of the tutorial.

duncanp64426526

Some of the options do affect price, some dont. I think what works so far is to have all the options into one table and let the customer click on the combination they like. Downfall is that you have to list all available option combinations but I guess its easier than to have multiple lists for different option groups. Everything is dynamic so for some products there could be 5 different option groups, and some wont have any etc.

I can't create the option list as static so I'll have to generate them dynamically based on the list that matches my current product ID number since we are on the details page.

Everything works ok on my site right now but like I said, my problem is this...

1. How do I add the customer's selection from the dropdown to the cart?

2. How can I add the description of that option as well?

I added the list within the same form as the add to cart button. Then i'm passing the main Product ID, Product Price, and product Weight from my Products table sucessfully to the cart and I can view them in the cart.

I just can't seem to pass the option price or the option description from the dynamic list. My dynamic list gets populated from my options table where its suppose to return the price increment as the "Value" and the option description as the "Labels". This list is then based off of the recordset for Product_Options that equals the Product ID selected from other pages... $_GET['Product_ID']

duncanp64426526

here is what my page looks like right now...

Product_Details.php?Product_ID=75

duncanp64426526

attached is my product details page if that helps.

Attached Files
Product_Details.zip

duncanp64426526

Maybe it will help me if i understand the tutorial you mentioned above.

Do you have to create two record sets to initially read the values in for color and size.

Then when you created your drop-down lists, the user clicks on their selections and it somehow stores the selections into another record set? the Lookup set? then the values stored in the lookup set is what gets passed to the cart?

I'm just new to dreamweaver and i'm trying to figure out how to get these selected values into the cart. Thanks for any help guys, i know its probably something simple that i'm not seeing right now.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...