close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

SA1, admin retrieves or changes customers passwords

Thread began 5/26/2011 12:05 pm by un33k9309513 | Last modified 5/27/2011 6:33 am by Jason Byrnes | 1270 views | 5 replies |

un33k9309513

SA1, admin retrieves or changes customers passwords

Hi,

I am at a fork in the middle of finishing this but I have an important question which will guide me one way or another and I hope for #1 way.

#1 - I have SA1, how can the admin change other users passwords if they are SHA1 encrypted? Can I set something up like the tutorial (05_update_page.swf) except maybe adding a link for each user in the (user_Results.php) created by DA so as an admin I can click change password for any user. I know the customer can do forgot email password; but some of the customers don't use email.

Currently:
-passwords are not encrypted
-email has not been set as unique value during registration process (because some customers don't have email)

Will setup if there is a way for #1:
-encrypt passwords
-email setup as unique value (#2 can we leave email blank during registration process if it's setup as unique to block duplicate entries?)

So my 2 questions are:

How to do #1
Is #2 possible

Thanks,
Ed

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

to have the admin change the password, you would use data assist to create pages for search results and update for the users table.

where the password is not encrypted, a strait data assist update page linked with a results page is all that is needed.

If you leave the email blank for some users, you cannot set the email column to be unique. it fail for the second blank email address since a blank one was already entered.

un33k9309513

Hi,

I have a multiple step question below,

1. I do have the DA update page; however, if I update the password will it not be encrypted anymore in the database?

So would I encrypt the password in the registration page -> which sends encrypted password in the database table so I can't read it, -> then when I log in as Admin I can go to users_Results can click on update -> then on users_Update will it show me dots for the password field and can I just type over them or will it show the password unencrypted? Then if I change that password field, how can I have it send an encrypted new password to the database for that user?

2. Is there any ideas to make #2 work?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

in the update record behavior, set the password column to use the SHA1 format.

It is not possible to make #2 work

the email cannot be unique, but allow blank values.

un33k9309513

Ok I will give #1 a try. Thanks

For #2, if we do have a duplicate email address, what would happen when a user enters his email in the forgot password email box? Will he get both passwords?

One question regarding the profile page, how can I make a link for a customer to click to view his own profile. I know I need the parameter but don't know what to use? My session is called ID.

Thanks
Ed

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

if you have duplicate emails, only one message will be sent for the first record.

If the session name created by the login page is ID, create a recordset on the profile page that filters the user records on the ID session variable.

Nothing special needs to be done with the link, just filtering the recirdset on the session will pull up the logged in users information.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...