close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Authenticate user question

Thread began 5/24/2011 6:53 pm by jen425288 | Last modified 5/27/2011 9:23 pm by jen425288 | 2618 views | 8 replies |

jen425288

Authenticate user question

I am using the SecurityAssist – User Level Authentication instructions and have got to page 4 where is says:
3. Select the Visitors_Update page.

I can't see any such page. I have visitors Registration, LogIn, LogOut, emailPW and Profile. Where do I find Visitors_Update?

Looking down this page I also see references to the AccessDenied page and the Visitors_Insert page, and I don't have these either. Have I missed a step somewhere?

I have spoken with the client and negotiated a simplification - there will be a group called Administrators with site-wide access, 40 different trial member groups each with access to various folders on the site (this is an ethics committee requirement &^$@!$*&!!), and of course general access which does not require a log-in. I have proceeded far enough to see that I will be applying folders/files to each different user group but it might be easier to apply different user groups to each folder/file - is this possible? Asking just in case.

Thanks.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The User level Authentication solution recipe is intended to be used with the Solution Recipe Support Files available for download from the Security Assist download center page.

If you are using your own files, they will have different names.

Visitors_Update = profile page
Visitors_Insert = registration page

An access denied page is not mandatory, it is the page you set the Page Access behavior to redirect to when a user tries to access a page they do not have privileges to access.

jen425288

I have the files that SecurityAssist created - is there a different documentation to use when you are actually building a real system?

Your site is quite difficult to navigate. It would be a great help if, when you refer to a page or site section on the WebAssist site, you could provide a link to that page/section. I try to bookmark pages when I find them because it's sometimes very difficult to find them again.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

no, it's the same documentation when you are building the system for real, just the names of the pages will change based on the pages that you create.

jen425288

OK, next question: the files I need to allow access to for each of my user groups are PDF files. They do not display in the Access Pages Manager. Do I need to create a page for each user group, with a list of links to that group's PDF files? And if so, will the PDF files be accessible by typing in the path in the browser address bar? If so, any user can access them by bypassing the "protected" links page and they are not protected.
What do you suggest I do in this situation?

<5 mins later> Aaaaaggghhhh... I just found this:
showthread.php?t=10819&highlight=PDF+files

I have never used Digital File Pro. I hate to think that this application (Security Assist) just cannot do what I need, after all that. I'll look into it... it can't be that hard...

jen425288

Before I go any further, I need to know what this will cost. Les Crowley's post (above) says "You could combine SecurityAssist with Digital File Pro and accomplish it." but when I go to the link he provides, it says I need DataAssist. Would I really need this too?

When I tried to find pricing for DigitalFilePro, I found a page with no pricing (wa-digital-file-pro.html) and all the Digital File Pro links on that page go to something called Universal Email. Except one, which goes to Security Assist 2. So, can you please tell me how much Digital File Pro costs?

jen425288

New problem - after creating all my user groups yesterday all was fine, but then I created just one Page Access Rule and since then when I try to view (Live View) any pages on my local testing server I get an error as follows:

Server error!

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there was an error in a CGI script.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 500

localhost
27/05/2011 12:44:00 PM
Apache/2.2.14 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8l mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.3.1 mod_apreq2-20090110/2.7.1 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1

I can view the pages in FF using "File > Open file" with no problem.

jen425288

I need to get some help with this please. I have now decided to create 'gateway' pages for each user group so I can allow group access to links to PDFs on these pages and avoid all the DataAssist/DigitalFilePro hoopla. But due to the problem above, I now cannot modify or create any Rules as the Server Behaviours window tells me I need to create a dynamic site.

This must be a problem within DW as I can view my dynamic site locally in the browser, ie there is nothing wrong with the site. Do I need to reinstall SecurityAssist? Or DW?

jen425288

OK, OK, just realised I had downloaded an .htaccess file from my remote server and that's what was causing the problem. All fixed. But I doubt you've heard the last from me...
Onwards and upwards...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...