close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Setting up Emails/database

Thread began 5/23/2011 5:07 pm by bmccondichieq261536 | Last modified 6/10/2011 7:55 am by info345659 | 2527 views | 8 replies |

bmccondichieq261536

Setting up Emails/database

Greetings,

I want to led with that I am a newbee within the database world, this is why I purchased the PM package. Therefore I am asking for a little bit of patience if I am not fully comprehending something that is being explained.

I have set up and uploaded PM and the MySQL and PHP side correctly. I have also set up my template but when I try to send the email to myself as a test I am getting this error mssge below.

"Please define an audience for your mailing with at least one audience member." I set something up but my audience member side looks like this. (please see screenshot)

I did use the send preview to view my message this did show up but without the images. I'll tackle this latter.

I did go into mailing, then audience to set up the audience member but I guess I am not setting this up correctly. Please let me know what I am not doing right to accomplish at least a test email to myself in order to move forward with something more advanced with the product.

What I am trying to achieve is:

1. How do I set up the audience member correctly.

2. How do I add the emails I need to send to the user groups.

Thank you for all your help

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you have left the filed next to the equals condition blank

by leaving that blank, you are sending the email to all users where the UserEmail column does not have a value:
UserEmail = ""

for the UserEmail column, you should probably not be using the equals condition.

perhaps use the begins with, or ends with condition.

lets say I had 3 users in my table with the following email addresses:

johndoe@yahoo.com
janedoe@yahoo.com
johnsmith@gmail.com

if i set the audience up as "ends with" "yahoo.com", this would target 2 users:
johndoe@yahoo.com
janedoe@yahoo.com

if i set the audience up as "begins with" "john", this would target 2 users as well:
johndoe@yahoo.com
johnsmith@gmail.com

bmccondichieq261536

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply, though I am real new at the database arena, where am I pulling the names from? FOr instance I am makeing this real simple so that I can understand how this works, do I create an excel data base then link this or can I add my email address to PM. If I can add the emails to PM where, the tutorials do not really cover how to use the Audience and Audience Filter. Are there tutorials that I have missed that cover how to set up what you are attempting to show me?

Thank Jason

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

users must register on your site through the users_registration.php for their email address to be added to your database.

bmccondichieq261536

Lost

Let me ask, what skill set do I need to have to accomplish this, are there any tutorials that can take me from A too Z on this. I thought I could take an already built email list add it use a template or design the html email myself.

Can you give some direction this?

Thank you

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Power Messenger does not have the ability import an existing email list, you would need to have a good familiarity with the users table design on Power Messenger, and familiarity with importing data to a mySQL database using the import features of PHPMyAdmin or another MySQL GUI tool do be able to accomplish this successfully.

scorpio54378638

A Quote from WA Site

Q: Can PowerMessenger be used without any coding knowledge?

A: Yes. PowerMessenger can be used without any prior coding knowledge.

Jason,

The questions are all clear in trying to setup and import prior mailing list.

Just tell us how to do it and quit deleting post asking the same questions.

A company with this reputation should help it's customers, not give them a run around.

PLEASE!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

scorpio54378638, I have not been deleting any post whether they ask the same question or not.

The questions are all clear in trying to setup and import prior mailing list.  

there is no support in Power Messenger for importing a prior mailing list. Power Messenger can be used without prior coding knowledge if you are using supported features of the product, The User Registration page.

Trying to import an existing mailing list, however, is not one of those supported features, therefore requires some coding knowledge.

You can import a csv file to the Power Messenger database using one of the MySQL GUI Tools like PHPMyAdmin, SQLYog or Sequel Pro.

at a minimum, you will need to import the users email address and password to the users table.

info345659

A reasonable request

This is a great question.

With a name like "PowerMessenger", one would think importing an address book from outlook or OE would not be a problem.

I have 9 years worth of contacts I want to add to "PowerMessenger"...,

Please provide a short tutorial to add all the fields of outlook address book and properly format a .csv file to import with PHPMyAdmin.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...