close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

What should I see when using the PayPal Sandbox

Thread began 5/11/2011 12:57 pm by GaryDCoxDFW | Last modified 5/23/2011 2:02 pm by Jason Byrnes | 3269 views | 9 replies |

GaryDCoxDFW

What should I see when using the PayPal Sandbox

I am getting my store ready and I am testing with the sand box, I have digital products only, I have created my accounts in sandbox, and it is comming up in Powerstore but it stops at the final point and tells me I need to enter a valid card number and CV number and does not procees to the digital download is this right. How should all this work?

Thanks,

Gary

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

what are you entering for the credit card number?

try using Visa and entering:
cc number: 4111111111111111
cvv: 123

GaryDCoxDFW

Further explination

Here is what I am seeing, I purchase a product from the store using my sandbox personal buyers id associated with one of my emails addresses, (I have check the generated password from paypal to see if it works which it does) I got to check out user the email address do the purchase try to use the sand box password and I get the following screen which I have captured it will not accept the paypal generated password. It would be very helpful if we could have a video instruction on how to use the sand box since the paypal instruction is not very good. I do have one other question under instructions of accept billing agreement scroll down to step three Set up your ppayment action I did not find that could you explain more please.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you should contact paypal to see why the sandbox account they generated for you will not work.

GaryDCoxDFW

Thank You

Jason:

Many Thanks

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you're welcome.

GaryDCoxDFW

Response from PayPal Can you help me with it

Here is the responce:

Dear Gary,
thank you for contacting PayPal Merchant Technical Service.

I've just tested your store on store.ontrackjobsearch.com/ to see if i am able to log in with my sandbox account. As you can see on the screenshot, your store is pointing to our live environment www.paypal.com , where the sandbox credentials doesn't exist and that's why you are unable to log in.

To resolve this issue you will need to set up your store to a testmode, where it is pointing to www.sandbox.paypal.com . In order that you are using a third party cart(Powershop), you will need to contact them how you can change this setting. Anyway, i googled a little Bit and found this tutorial:

paypal_sandbox.php

In this tutorial it says:

Enter the PowerStore 3 Admin panel, choose Settings > Payment Information. Uncheck the Use Sandbox checkbox and enter your PayPal account details instead of the Sandbox test accounts details.

I would suggest to follow these steps the other way around. check the Use Sandbox checkbox and enter your PayPal Sandbox account details . Once your shop is in Testmode, you can log in with the sandbox accounts.

would be very helpful if we could have a video instruction on how to use the sand box since the paypal instruction is not very good

Unfortunately we don't have a video with instructions, i am sorry. The only things i can provide you are these two user guides, i hope they help:

PP_Sandbox_UserGuide.pdf

howto_testing_sandbox

I hope this was helpful and if you have further Questions on this or another problem,please let me know.

With kind regards

Volker
PayPal MTS

Iam including their screen shout plus the screen shot of my gate way setup to help, In powerstore 4 we do not have the checkbox they speak of so what do I do.

Thanks Gary

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I think this is a misunderstanding of the PayPal payments standard system.

paypal standard is not a real time payment gateway. this means that when the user goes through the checkout and is returned to the checkout success page, the transaction is not actually completed yet.

when the user is directed to the checkout success page, the transaction is in a queue to be processed with the bank, this can take anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 days to occur.

when the transaction does get processed through the merchant bank, paypal makes an IPN post to the power store site to update information in the database.

So the question is "What does this mean for sandbox testing"?

there are 2 parts to sandbox testing with Payments standard:
1) The user experience, this testing is done by changing the confirm page to post to the sandbox server and tests the paypal account login, selecting the payment method, confirming the order, then being directed back to the checkout success page. This testing is really unnecessary though the real testing is the second part.

2) Testing the IPN post, this tests the stores IPN page to receive the post coming from paypal when the transaction is processed. This is done using the Instant Payment Notification Simulator in your paypal account. see the Sand Box Users Guide:
PP_Sandbox_UserGuide.pdf

In the Sandbox Test Tools section for more details.

Power store does not have a way to set PayPal Standard to use sandbox mode, because the real sandbox testing is done through the IPN Simulator

GaryDCoxDFW

Jason Feed back to you on my solution

Jason thanks for the help!

I went throught the whole PayPal Sandbox Manual it was of litlle if no help, some tips but all in all it did not teach me anything I had not discovered.

The soulution ended up with me switching from PayPal Standard to PayPal Express, I did use a different test user ID, as I had a feeling the one I was using might had problems, this I found was true, why I do not know. I then switched back to PayPal standard after the sucessful test in PayPal Express to see if in fact it was the user ID that was the issue, it was not, PayPal standard would not give me a valid test and I would get the same login in ID error, so I went back to PayPal Express and I got a functional good test of the payment gateway, it does not make sense, but I have a fuctional payment gateway that does test good.

I do think however for Power Store 4 that your company needs to produce a instructional video on working with the payment gateway in PayPal Sandbox, you have it for everything else. I look at it this way if this part of the store does not work right the store does not go on line, and I was not about to put the store on line till I got a good fuctional test from the sandbox to verify the payment gateway was working, if you are worth your salt in this business that is what you do proper QA, so I think a Video on the Sandbox is now manditory from your company. please pass this message up the line for me.

Thanks again for you help,

Gary

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

well, like i was trying to explain earlier, sand box testing in paypal standard is not done through the checkout process of power store, instead it is done using the IPN Tester tool of your paypal account to test how power store will react to the IPN posts made by the paypal server when the transaction is actually processed.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...