close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Emails not sending

Thread began 4/27/2011 7:11 am by kelly291243 | Last modified 12/15/2011 12:21 pm by Jason Byrnes | 4876 views | 15 replies |

kelly291243

Emails not sending

Hi,

I have successfully uploaded PM to my website, added users and subscribed them to newsletters. The problem I am having is the emails not sending. I have tried this with the 'Server Settings' blank and also with the server settings set to smtp.fasthosts.co.uk (Fasthosts hosts my website). Nothing seems to be working. I am not sure what the 'Use additional Email Parameters' checkbox does as the tootip is blank. I can get an error to appear when I ask for a spam report:

Invalid JSON:
Warning: set_time_limit() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/fhlinux209/m/mydomain.co.uk/user/htdocs/admin_pm/common/sendPreview.php on line 28
{"success":false,"message":"An error occured while attempting to send an email to the spam check service. Please check the reply address.","session":true,"requestPOST":{"oper":"sendSpamReport","email":"me@myemail.co.uk":"\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t

Hoping you can help

Thanks

Kelly

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Unfortunately you'll have to talk to your hosting provider.... most likely they have "safe-mode" enabled on the server:

features.safe-mode.php

Safe mode is a deprecated functionality that won't even exist in the next release of php. Because emails to large lists can take a long time, it will be necessary to be able to extend the script timeout to send out the emails effectively.

You will have to talk to you hosting provider to enable that setting (turn off safe mode). If they won't do it, then I'd suggest switching hosting providers.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

kelly291243

I have spoken to the hosting company and they have confirmed that Safe Mode is already off. so maybe something else?

Just in case it makes a difference is it worth me pointing out that I have this running on a subdoman sub.domain.co.uk

Ray BorduinWebAssist

They need to enable: "set_time_limit()" to be called. Safe mode automatically disables that setting, but even with safe mode off it can be disabled individually. It would need to be enabled. Talk to your hosting company and ask them to enable that function.

kelly291243

I have spoken to my webhost about this and I have recieved the following response on an email:

"set_time_limit() is not enabled on the server our engineers have advised this is because it would allow the script to run longer than the script timeout.

The only real option would be to use a Virtual or Dedicated server, in which you can make as many changes to PHP as you like."

I don't suppose you would like to comment on this?

:(

Ray BorduinWebAssist

They are correct... changing this setting would allow your timeout to be extended... it would allow you to do things like send emails to thousands of people over hours or even days. This is actually what you want to do. If this hosting provider won't let you, then they won't let you...

You could either update the account with them so that they would let you, or use another hosting provider that doesn't have that restriction. Who is your hosting provider? Many large hosts don't have that restriction even on their basic accounts.

kelly291243

My hosting company is FASTHOSTS (www.fasthosts.co.uk). They are or seem a fairly large web hosting company and I have a reseller account with them at a cost of £600 a year. They have said the only way is to get one of their virtual servers or a dedicated server at extra monthly cost so may look for a different hosting company.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You could try 1and1... their $3.99 a month hosting plan should do the trick:

Hosting;jsessionid=0434BA9ED0BF2BE9BC1B983E59BAF282.TCpfix141b?__frame=_top&__lf=Static&linkOrigin=Home&linkId=hd.nav.domains

kelly291243

I have had a kind of success with my webhost which I stumbled upon...

I originally tried to set up Power Messenger on a Windows 2003 server with Fasthosts but they didn't have CURL enabled on this domain and they suggested one of their Linux servers. I switched this domain to the Linux server and everything installed fine but then, as you know from my previous posts, the emails would not send.

I thought I would try a windows 2003 server one more time and used a different domain that I have had for some time. Power Messenger installed fine even though I expected no CURL. On top of that I can send emails from this windows 2003 server.

Our company is a distributor for a famous line of electric guitars and I am setting up a mailing list of all our dealers that I send marketing emails to but do not want them to receive the welcome email as it contains the url for a completely disassociated domain. Is there a way I can turn off the welcome email to signups?

Many thanks

Kelly

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You can stop sending the emails by removing or commenting out this line:

$RecipientEmail = "".((isset($_POST["UserEmail"]))?$_POST["UserEmail"]:"") ."";include("../../../webassist/email/WAUE_users_Registration_1.php");

It will be on the page: webassist/plugins/registration/registration.php (line 127)
and on the page: webassist/plugins/registration/full/registration.php (line 151)

Depending on whether you use the full or short registration form you could update one or the other, or just do both.

If you have trouble with emails not sending, try using this updated set of files: showpost.php?p=97588&postcount=4

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...