close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Pre Sales Question

Thread began 4/13/2011 9:04 am by A Sound Design | Last modified 4/13/2011 2:03 pm by Jason Byrnes | 2637 views | 9 replies |

A Sound Design

Pre Sales Question

Hi. I am looking to purchase this extension but need a few answers before I do.

1) Can this be set up so that on a registration page created with it the administrator gets an email notifying them that a new user has registered?

2) Can you create a double opt in?

3) What type of security does it use? MD5, SHA1 etc.

That's all I can think of for now :)

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

With only the security assist extension, these things are not possible.

1) to send the email to the site administrator, you will need Universal Email as well.

2) to create a double opt in, you will also need DataAssist. See this thread for details on creating a Double opt in using Data assist and universal Email.

3) The encryption method used in security assist is SHA1

A Sound Design

Thanks for the quick reply Jason. Do I have to use Universal Email or will other methods of sending mail work?

I have the CSS Form Builder extension. Can I use the Login and Registration forms in this or will I need to use the ones in SA? For registration I am looking to create a quite detailed form and the one in Form Builder looks good. I just want to use the actual security measures of SA with this form. I like the Captcha in Form Builder so want to use that.

Regarding double opt in I have read that thread. Does this mean that by creating a random password the user will not be able to choose their own at registration or is this just a hidden field that is only for creating a double opt in? Just wanted to clarify this.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

If you have CSS Form Builder 2, this includes all of the functionality of Universal Email.

The security assist wizard will not create pages that use Form builder forms for login and registration.

to use form builder forms, you will need to crate the login and registration pages manually. Add the form to the page, then apply the Security Assist Authenticate User behavior for login, or the Insert Record Behavior for the registration.

The random password mentioned in that post does not effect the password that the user enters, it is just a random string that is used to update the users status from the link in the email.

A Sound Design

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  If you have CSS Form Builder 2, this includes all of the functionality of Universal Email.

The security assist wizard will not create pages that use Form builder forms for login and registration.

to use form builder forms, you will need to crate the login and registration pages manually. Add the form to the page, then apply the Security Assist Authenticate User behavior for login, or the Insert Record Behavior for the registration.

The random password mentioned in that post does not effect the password that the user enters, it is just a random string that is used to update the users status from the link in the email.  

I have version 1.0.2 of Form Builder, so back to the original question "Do I have to use Universal Email or will other methods of sending mail work?". Unless I upgrade to version 2, of course.

Thanks for clarifying the other points. I just want to know if various other WA products are going to integrate with this but also want to be able to use some of the existing DW extensions that I have from other companies as well.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

other methods of sending the email may work, but I cannot say if they will for certain.

the key to double option is this:
on registration, a new record is created in the users table. the verified column is set to 0 and a random string is inserted to the random string column.

an email is sent to the user that just registered with the Primary Key value and random string as querystring variables in a link to the confirm page.

the confirm page uses the querystring variables to update the verified column of the users record.

as long as your other email method allows you to modify the email that is sent and add the link to the confirm page with the ID and Random string, then it should work.

I know that GoDaddys form mailer script instance will not allow this sort of control over the email message. I'm sure there are other methods out there that have the same restriction. I'm also sure there are other methods that will work.

A Sound Design

I was just looking at the details of the SA extension and from one of the screenshots it looks like it could make a more fully featured registration page so I could always use this for registration. On this point, if I upgraded to Form Builder version 2 would the email sending part of it work with the SA extension or would I need the full Universal Email extension too?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The Email Sending function of CSS Form Builder 2 is Universal Email. Universal Email is sold as a separate stand alone product, but also bundled into CSS form Builder 2.

A Sound Design

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  The Email Sending function of CSS Form Builder 2 is Universal Email. Universal Email is sold as a separate stand alone product, but also bundled into CSS form Builder 2.  

So if I upgraded to v2 of FB it would be the same as buying UE as well or does it only work in FB????

In terms of the actual registration form that can be created with this, is it limited to a certain amount of fields or could you have as many custom ones as you like? For example, I would like to have all the standard name, email, etc. but also web site, Facebook profile url, avatar image, etc. Can SA do this?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, upgrading to Form Builder 2 would be the same as buying UE.

You can create the registration form with whatever fields you like, you just need to make sure that Users table has corresponding columns to store the information when the user registers.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...