close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Email appears to work but nothing received

Thread began 4/06/2011 10:43 am by michael287412 | Last modified 4/08/2011 6:43 am by Jason Byrnes | 4652 views | 9 replies |

michael287412

Email appears to work but nothing received

Hi - have set up Universal mail - taken 2 days to sort out accessing PEAR, I'm on a VPS with Webfusion running Plesk which has been a major headache accessing PEAR and getting past an open_basedir issue.

Using UE 4 on CS5
SMPT is with AuthSMTP

The script appears to run, from either a 'on page load' and 'form submit' but nothiong is being received. In both cases a GoTo Page functions. And there are no error messages.

I am using a valid from address within the domain.

What have I missed please

Thnaks Michael

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

on the go to page, add the following code just after the body tag:
<pre><?php var_dump($_SESSION); ?></pre>

this will tell us whether the email is being successfully passed to the smtp server or not.

if it is being sent to the SMTP server successfully, then either the SMTP server setting in universal email is not correct, or the SMTP server is refusing the relay the mail message to the recipient.

michael287412

Hi I get NULL displayed on the goto page

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

sorry, change the previous code to:

php:
<pre><?php 

@session_start();
var_dump($_SESSION); 
?></pre>

michael287412

A bit more this time

array(12) {
["waue_mailmc_2_Total"]=>
int(0)
["waue_mailmc_2_Index"]=>
int(0)
["waue_mailmc_2_Remaining"]=>
int(0)
["waue_mailmc_2_Log"]=>
string(194) "Sending To: michael@eklegein.co.uk... 10002 - authentication failure [SMTP: Invalid response code received from server (code: 501, response: 5.5.4 cannot decode AUTH parameter)] - Failure
"
["waue_mailmc_2_From"]=>
string(32) "noreply@jesusjoypublishing.co.uk"
["waue_mailmc_2_To"]=>
string(22) "michael@eklegein.co.uk"
["waue_mailmc_2_Subject"]=>
string(5) "carla"
["waue_mailmc_2_Body"]=>
string(0) ""
["waue_mailmc_2_Header"]=>
string(82) "Message-ID=<605424098.14709c93a006be9459946e2e08bb0186@jesusjoypublishing.co.uk>;
"
["waue_mailmc_2_ErrorFunctionCalled"]=>
int(0)
["waue_mailmc_2_Error"]=>
string(140) "10002 - authentication failure [SMTP: Invalid response code received from server (code: 501, response: 5.5.4 cannot decode AUTH parameter)]"
["waue_mailmc_2_Status"]=>
string(7) "Failure"
}

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

From this:
SMTP: Invalid response code received from server (code: 501, response: 5.5.4 cannot decode AUTH parameter)

it looks like there is a problem with passing the user name and password to the smtp server.

In the Universal Email settings for the SMTP server, did you check the box to pass authentication?
Are you sure the username and password entered are correct for making a connection to the smtp server?

I have found a couple of posts on google where the "saslauthd" service on the server needed to be restarted, try having the host restart that service.

michael287412

Hi Jason

Have checked all details - but all connections are OK, I have also tried to my ntlworlhd.com server and that took and age before timing out.

Have rebooted server but no change - have asked WebFusion for location of saslauthd is to restart - awaiting their as to often slow response

AuthSMTP have asked what authentication method is in use - i.e.
PLAIN, CRAM-MD5 they recommend CRAM-MD5 - is this set by UE or the server please?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have created a support ticket so we can look into this issue further.

To view and edit your support ticket, please log into your support history:
supporthistory.php

If anyone else is experiencing this same issue, please append to this thread.

michael287412

Jason

I realised late last night that I had not put the correct statement into UE had put mail.ntlworld.com and not smtp.ntlworld.com. The result is the same - ie. no transmission of email BUT I gset a slightly diffreent message, below, which may assist in identifying the issue.

array(12) {
["waue_mcmail2_1_Total"]=>
int(0)
["waue_mcmail2_1_Index"]=>
int(0)
["waue_mcmail2_1_Remaining"]=>
int(0)
["waue_mcmail2_1_Log"]=>
string(250) "Sending To: michael@eklegein.co.uk... 10001 - Failed to connect to smtp.ntlworld.com:25 [SMTP: Invalid response code received from server (code: 421, response: aamtaout03-winn.ispmail.ntl.com connection refused from [109.104.92.194])] - Failure
"
["waue_mcmail2_1_From"]=>
string(32) "noreply@jesusjoypublishing.co.uk"
["waue_mcmail2_1_To"]=>
string(22) "michael@eklegein.co.uk"
["waue_mcmail2_1_Subject"]=>
string(2) "gh"
["waue_mcmail2_1_Body"]=>
string(0) ""
["waue_mcmail2_1_Header"]=>
string(82) "Message-ID=<710883272.14709c93a006be9459946e2e08bb0186@jesusjoypublishing.co.uk>;
"
["waue_mcmail2_1_ErrorFunctionCalled"]=>
int(0)
["waue_mcmail2_1_Error"]=>
string(196) "10001 - Failed to connect to smtp.ntlworld.com:25 [SMTP: Invalid response code received from server (code: 421, response: aamtaout03-winn.ispmail.ntl.com connection refused from [109.104.92.194])]"
["waue_mcmail2_1_Status"]=>
string(7) "Failure"
}

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

This error means that the smtp server is not accepting the connection for some reason, you will need to work with the host to determine why the smtp server is not allowing connection to be made. It could be that the ip address (109.104.92.194) is being blocked, or the from address could be blocked, or the username and password could be the problem.

At this point UE is trying to hand off the email to the smtp server to be relayed, but the SMTP server is not allowing it to happen, this is an issue with the server.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...