close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

PowerCMS Builder won't launch. Nothing happens

Thread began 3/31/2011 7:21 am by jciol2009 | Last modified 6/10/2013 7:33 am by Jason Byrnes | 4029 views | 17 replies |

jciol2009

PowerCMS Builder won't launch. Nothing happens

I just purchased PowerCMS Builder today. I installed the latest beta at first. I followed the instructions in Getting Started Guide. I installed it but nothing happens. No activation, no error message, absolutely nothing. I uninstalled it via Extension Manager and it took well over 30 minutes to uninstall. I installed the "stable release" 1.0.0. this time. Again, nothing happens. Menus are there but it does nothing. I am now trying to remove it and now Adobe Extension Manager does nothing. It asks for confirmation. I click yes, and nothing happens. I close Extension Manager and OS X says it crashed.

This is the first time I had so much trouble with WebAssist Extension. The same machine setup gave me no trouble with other extension. Very disappointing but I need it to work so I can get some work done.

I did all the usual trick such as deleting .dat file. No avail.

I would rather get it to work than getting refund since I need this for some work.

Sign in to reply to this post

jciol2009

Now Dreamweaver CS4 won't launch at all!

This post has been deleted.

jciol2009

(Update) removal successful

I managed to remove the extension. Dreamweaver was crashing but it came back after the removal. It seems like Extension Manager acts as if it hangs for a while in some instances. It wouldn't even show "Removing Extension..." dark screen. But I noticed Activity Monitor showed otherwise so I let it sit and it eventually finished the job. Took it like 30 min to remove. Dreamweaver was crashing probably because the removal was premature.

The problem still persists, though. I haven't reinstalled the extension. I want this thing to work, and it seems like it does in some cases. Just not sure how I can get this installed right. Any support is greatly appreciated.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have created a support ticket so we can look into this issue further.

To view and edit your support ticket, please log into your support history:
supporthistory.php

If anyone else is experiencing this same issue, please append to this thread.

jciol2009

New development

There has been a new development. The thing started working. I took a chance, reinstalled the beta version, deleted .dat as usual, tried a slightly different site setting for test site and viola, it launched this time. Will have to try and see if I can make a web site now. I suspect there might have been some kind of incorrect settings in the DW site setting. Not sure what though.

jciol2009

Update: I got it working... This is how I did it in my case. FYI

I posted the following thread:

showthread.php?t=19786

This is not completely resolved but I got it to work, and the following is how I did it. I'm posting a separate thread to share this with others so those having the same issue might be able to try:

1) Uninstall PowerCMS Builder extension via Adobe Extension Manager. Took it half an hour or more to complete the job. It does act as if it's locked up but I left it running because Activity Monitor showed it was doing something. It eventually finished the job.

2) Reinstall PowerCMS Builder beta build. I used Build 38 which is the latest beta at the time this is posted.

3) Delete .dat file under Configuration folder. The instruction is under "Common Installation Issue" link somewhere in this site.

4) Launch Dreamweaver. Mine is CS4. Set up a DW site and make sure both test server and remote server are set up correctly. In my case, I created a dummy site, set Access to local on both and made sure that the URL Prefix matched the one enabled in MAMP Pro. (That's what I use as a test server.)

5) Try the Quick Start Guide instructions. It worked for me this time, I activated the software with my serial code, and I was in.

6) I ran a setup screen in PowerCMS via browser and it gave me an error saying "PowerCMS" directory and "PowerCMS/Connections" didn't have proper write permission. These directories didn't even exist when I looked inside, so I created both, set both to 777, and just in case I set the site root folder to 777 as well. There was no error after that.

7) After the first time you add PowerCMS contents, the connection name in the PowerCMS Builder dialog would say "PowerCMSConnection". I ignored that, went ahead and added more CMS contents, and they all worked fine.

I still don't know why there was no PowerCMS directory when PowerCMS Builder tried to set up PowerCMS. But the trick I performed seemed to work here. Not sure if it will for other people though.

Come to think of it, I suspect the URL Prefix wasn't correct or not filled out when I first tried. Maybe that was why it didn't do anything...?

christie367953

I am having the same problem!!

Install / uninstall. Did it - TWICE. Deleted .dat file. Yes did that. I get NOTHING - no response, no PowerCMS screen, nothing. This product does not appear to work. I have been refused a refund, because I am out of my 30 day period (bought it for client work, just got done)...so now what? Will SOMEONE PLEASE help me? I can read directions, I have followed the directions, and nothing is working as promised!!!!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have created a support ticket so we can look into this issue further.

To view and edit your support ticket, please log into your support history:
supporthistory.php

If anyone else is experiencing this same issue, please append to this thread.

jciol2009

I was going to say Web Assist people will probably catch this thread and contact you personally, but I guess Jason was quicker than I was. :) I suggest you give them a try. They really are helpful, and I can testify that from my two year experiences with them. (I have a SuperSuite license.) I know it's irritating, it always is for me whenever I have trouble with this sort of thing but as far as WA stuff is concerned they've been pretty good with support and overall functionality of their software. Even PowerCMS has already been worth the initial trouble for me once I got it resolved in my case.

FYI, it seems like it is often the DW site setup not completely filled out or filled out with "incorrect" parameters when PowerCMS doesn't respond at all. In my case, PowerCMS didn't do anything at all just like in your case at first, and it turned out that it was a blank URL Parameter under Test Server section. I set up my DW site so that Local, Remote and Test server sections are completely filled out including URL Parameter. I also set my Remote site "Local" since it was a test site and I didn't have the actual FTP server. Not sure if that matters, though.

Also make sure your site root folder's permission is set to 777. It might not have to be 777 but that's what worked for me to avoid the error in PowerCMS installation script (run via browser when CMS region insertion is complete). If you forget it will get stuck at step 3 and say PowerCMS/Connections folders don't have write privilege. You actually won't find those folders so simply create them and set them to 777:

(site root)/PowerCMS
(site root)/PowerCMS/Connections

You can set the permission via local pane of your FTP program.

If you are using a test server such as MAMP/LAMP/WAMP, I would make sure (just in case) your test site domain is set to handle both "www.(domain).com" and "(domain).com" without www. Might not have anything to do with this problem but URL Prefix seems to affect PowerCMS and thought it could cause some issues depending on how the server is set up.

Reinstallation, reboot, etc. most likely won't help. In general, I've found that such procedure except deleting .dat file has nothing to do with DW extension problems. In the past nearly 100% of the time it was something else that solved problems.

I hope WA will fix these problems ASAP. All this being said we really shouldn't have to perform workaround like this. It should just work out of the box without figuring out these things.

info299027

I just bought the product and have the same problem. :( I am disappointed.

What can I do to solve it?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...