close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

File Permissions

Thread began 3/18/2011 7:20 pm by ore423857 | Last modified 3/22/2011 8:18 am by Jason Byrnes | 2709 views | 7 replies |

ore423857

File Permissions

Hello,

I am new to all of this and I keep getting this message:

"File Permissions

Files and directories cannot be created. Verify the Site Sculptor directory has write permissions on your server."

I uploaded everything into my root folder with an ftp tool. GoDaddy is the host. What do I do?

Ore

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you need to give the root of your go daddy site read an write permissions to allow the site sculptor installer to create the needed files.

ore423857

Is there somewhere in the help directories where it shows HOW the folders should be setup? I keep searching for this but I can't find anything.

Should all the files that Sit Sculptor created be in the root or should they be in a folder within the root?

THEN, to give rights, just right-click and check which of the boxes? What should the number be?

Thanks for the help.

ore423857

Also, which folders do I actually need to give permission to?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the files that site sculptor creates can be in the root of your site or they can be in a sub directory.

Wherever they are placed, the containing folder needs to allow read and write access for all users.

if they are in the root, you need to set the access level for the site root to allow read and right access for all users, either 755 or 777 permission level.

if you place the site sculptor files in a sub directory, that sub directory needs to have read and write permissions granted for all users.

ore423857

This is getting pretty aggravating...

I used FileZilla and changed the permissions of all files and folders to 777. The darn checking thing still isn't letting me get passed the item #3 - Permission Files...

What am I doing wrong?

ore423857

OK - So I am a bit more relaxed now...

I went through these forums again and found a few other people who had this issue. I gathered that the best thing to do was move all of my files to a new folder called "NEW SITE".

NEW SITE sits on the root folder now with another folder which I am assuming is godaddy's since I cannot delete it (called stats).

I gave NEW SITE and all the files and folders within NEW SITE the 777 permissions. This process took a few minutes.

I opened a new browser window and directed the browser to NEW SITE and once there, the checklist popped up. I hit start and again #1 and #2 are fine, but I still have a File Permissions error.

I went to check my PHP version with godaddy and it says "PHP Version: PHP 5.x "

So I know it can't really be any of the PHP version issues I read about which may also be a reason for this...

SO at what point does someone call me OR do I just give up and get my money back guarantee??

I do appreciate your help.

Ore

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have created a support ticket so we can look into this issue further.

To view and edit your support ticket, please log into your support history:
supporthistory.php

If anyone else is experiencing this same issue, please append to this thread.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...