close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Session Bindings gone from Panel after moved to Remote Site

Thread began 2/23/2011 8:55 am by troyd | Last modified 2/23/2011 12:11 pm by Jason Byrnes | 2117 views | 5 replies |

troyd

Session Bindings gone from Panel after moved to Remote Site

This may be a really dumb question because it's most likely something in Dreamweaver that I am missing. But it's making me crazy.
I developed a User Registration section locally on my MAMP Pro testing server. Then, as I have done several times before, I copied all the files over to the real web site's folder, opened it up in Dreamweaver and began to make the corrections needed to upload and test on the remote server.

Most everything is working fine but all but one of my Session Bindings are gone from the Bindings Panel on the real web site. I attached screenshots of the panel for reference. Opening one site at a time in Dreamweaver, then opening the exact same page (in this case the users_EmailPW.php) the local test server shows everything. Allowing me to bind to URL variables, or Sessions in other pages. However, the real site shows only one Session. Where are these references located? I have moved everything over. The only edits I made to the real site was the connection file and the globals file.

I copied the _notes folders along with everything. That didn't work. I then clicked the "Refresh" arrow on the Panel. That didn't work either.
I tried recreating the site cache and even deleting it and creating it again. That didn't work. I know these are cached but they appear just fine when I open a new fresh User Registration Solution on my testing server. It's all there. What am I doing or missing here?

In addition, and for future reference, if you create a new Session, or URL variable, where is that stored? Is it in a Web Assist folder, or a Dreamweaver script somewhere? I did a search for several of them and don't find a thing. At least not in the method I am using to search. (DW find).

Thanks,
TroyD

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

info from the bindings panel is set on a site by site basis.

it is stored in the configuration/sitecache files.

I'm not sure i understand your work flow, why create a seperate DW site for the remote? Why not set the remote tab of the site definition to connect to the remote server?

you shouldn't need to make changes to the site once the files are uploaded to the remote host.

the only thing that should be different on the remote host is the database connection information. for this, you just need to update the connection file, then upload it, and change the connection file back to using the local connection details.

troyd

Jason,

Yes, I realize my work flow is not correct. Here's my reasoning. First of all, I don't trust Dreamweaver very much anymore. So, since this website already has years of development, and I don't want to mess anything up, I isolate my new developments in a "sandbox" first. I assumed that everyone did that at first. If I was using the User Registration Solution "out of box", then yes, I would just do as the docs say and toss it into my current working site.
But I was adding all kinds of restricted page and some major styling so I kept it away from the site until I had it mostly ready.

I guess I should read up on how to properly setup the site in Dreaweaver where there is the remote live server and then the local testing server. I tried that years ago and screwed up a large project. Ever since then, I just do it this way.

Is there a way to get things back? I mean, if I dropped the (untouched) User Registration Solution Pack into the working site, it would be the same as what I am doing now, in terms of the cached binding panel, wouldn't it? Or am I damaging it by working on it first?

Sorry to be so off topic on this but it's the 11th hour on this registration and I need to complete it if possible without starting over.

Thanks,
TroyD

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

since you say you are at the 11th hour and just want to finish it, I wouldnt change the work flow.

your best bet at this point is to add any missing bindings to the other site manually. on the bindings panel, click the plus button and select the binding type to add, then type it's name. just remember to use the same case as in the other site.

troyd

Ok. Thanks Jason,

I actually meant to ask if that would work. I was afraid that I would mess something up by adding them again. I will do as you suggested. That will help me move on to the next part of testing.

Thanks,
TroyD

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

No, that wont mess anything up as along as you use the correct names.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...