close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

facebook comments problems

Thread began 2/18/2011 4:28 am by Alan Winthrop | Last modified 3/07/2011 3:59 pm by Alan Winthrop | 5575 views | 9 replies |

Alan Winthrop

facebook comments problems

Hello,

I am afraid I seem to be having some problems with getting this to work.

Site designed in Site Sculptor with templates on PC running XP. Dreamweaver CS3

Uploaded facebook comment extension with application ID.

When I view the page in Mozilla Firefox and also IE8 I get an indication that the application is there as there is the 'facebook' download bars appearing for a few seconds each time I refresh.

I have attached a notepad of the code.

Hope this helps pinpoint what I have done wrong.

Many thanks for your assistance.
With regards
Alan

Attached Files
facebook_comment_code.txt
Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

Hi Alan,

Try using a document-relative path (instead of full URL) i.e. change your line:

<fb:comments xid="http://www.tgrowbags.com/facebook.php" numposts="10" width="425" publish_feed="true"></fb:comments>

to:

<fb:comments xid="facebook.php" numposts="10" width="425" publish_feed="true"></fb:comments>

Dani Chankhour

For the Unique ID in the Comments wizard, make sure to only enter Alpha Numeric values or you can try encoding the it by adding the url encode as follow:

<fb:comments xid="<?php urlencode('http://www.mydomain.com'); ?>" numposts="10" width="425" publish_feed="false"></fb:comments>

Alan Winthrop

Thanks for help but I have a security question

Hi neilo and Dani,

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I changed the code accordingly and the comments box is working better.

However I do have two additional questions.

When I initially installed and created the app I followed instructions as per your help, I did _not_ modify anything, so my problems will be easily duplicated at your end.

I find when I display comments in Internet Explorer I get the opportunity to post as per Facebook and also comments without logging to Facebook with letter recognition. When I use Mozilla Firefox the letter recognition is not there.

Could you clarify that this is because Firefox does not have the same functionality as IE8?

In addition posting with e-mail and name appears as an anonymous posting.

My second concern is that comments appear in the comment box, posted as anonymous without an opportunity for editing by the website owner.

As the comments do not appear on a facebook page, it is not possible to edit them there.

It there a way to have more control over postings? This could become a security problem for a commercial website owner.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.
With regards
Alan

Dani Chankhour

In regard to your first question, it must be a caching issue in the different browsers which is why you are getting the different behavior in the different browsers. Try clearing the cache in the two browser and try it again.

You should be only allowed to comment if you are logged in to your facebook comment. again try clearing the cache and try it again.

Alan Winthrop

Dani,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Thanks for your help, I have found that deleting web history in IE8 and Firefox has helped restored the ability to delete messages, however it is not perfect everytime.

It does also seem that I get different results according to whether I log into fb from my page where the application is uploaded or if I log in to fb directly to the site.

It is possible to post using this app without being logged into facebook, the posters appear as anonymous.

Perhaps the 'quirkyness' is something do with the fb end of things!

With regards
Alan.

Dani Chankhour

You will have to be logged in to facebook in order to use the Facebook Comments.

In regard to the different behavior you are seeing, can you tell me what exactly are you seeing.

Also, if you have a link where i can see the issue please reply back with that link.

Alan Winthrop

Dani,

Thank you for getting back to me.

When I visit my website and the app, using Mozilla Firefox I can post a comment, even if not logged into facebook.

When I visit my website and the app using Outlook Expess 8, I can only post a comment if I then log into facebook.

It appears if I log into facebook using Outlook Express as administrator, not all the comments posted using Mozilla appear on facebook. My concern is can I find a way to delete anonymous comments if they only appear on my website. I seem to need to get rid of history, such as in Mozilla Firefox for the delete to appear. This problems seems intermittant which does make it more complicated!

Kindly have a look at the page in question, and feel free to post any test comments using the app if this helps.

facebook.php

With regards
Alan

Dani Chankhour

I can't seem to be able to reproduce the issue where you are able to post a comment if you are not logged in. You much be logged in to facebook in order to post a comment.

When you say that you are able to post a comment when you are not logged in do you see the name, and the email field on the facebook comment.

Also, I have not heard of Outlook express 8?

Alan Winthrop

Hi Dani,

Thanks for looking into this matter and also posting via my website.
Your posting appeared fine.

However you can see others can post anonymously.

The Add comment box, name and e-mail all appear as per normal on my webpage, but then the name is stripped out and no e-mail appears, when posting _without_ logging into fb.

Things do get complicated...it seems if I log into fb using Mozilla Firefox I have to then subsequently visit the app, still using Mozilla Firefox, on my page to see the possibility to delete and remove unwanted posts.

If I had visited using Outlook Express 8 I cannot act as adminstrator.

The converse is true also...I need to log into fb using one browser and then visit my page using the same browser to have administrator privilages.

I do hope this does not mean when using other browsers that postings can be deleted.

Internet Explorer 8 was released March 19 2009, for XP users. I am using it on an XP computer.

Thanks for your input.
with regards
alan

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...