close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Sending custom fields to PayPal

Thread began 2/18/2011 1:48 am by JohnPicton | Last modified 9/11/2015 9:01 am by Ray Borduin | 4244 views | 22 replies |

JohnPicton

Sending custom fields to PayPal

Hello all,

I have a custom field in my eCart checkout labelled 'delivery times' where a viewer can choose an option as to when they would prefer their item to be delivered. Once they choose this option on the checkout page it is stored as a session variable on the 'confirm' page. This seems to work ok as on the confirm page I can see the delivery option chosen, so I know that the session is being stored correctly.

I can't see though how to make this appear in the PayPal system, or in the email that PayPal subsequently send out to the merchant with the order details on. In my form I've given it the id of 'custom' to be sent to PayPal, but it doesn't seem to appear anywhere in the PayPal system.

Anyone got any ideas how I would do this?

Thanks.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you could concatenate the session value onto the Item name field that is passed to paypal, exact specifics of this depend on the type of paypal checkout you are using:
Paypal payments pro or paypal standard?

JohnPicton

Hi there, thanks for the comments. It's payments standard. I'll try the concatenate idea, that sounds like it will work. Alternatively I guess I could use Universal Email to trigger a message independently of PayPal which includes all of the information I want?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Ok, with paypal standard, there will be a hidden form element for the item name that will look like:

php:
<input type="hidden" name="item_name_<?php echo $WA_Store_Cart_Index+1?>" id="item_name_<?php echo $WA_Store_Cart_Index+1?>" value="<?php echo $WA_Store_Cart->DisplayInfo("Name"?>" />

you could concatenate the session value to the end of it:

php:
<input type="hidden" name="item_name_<?php echo $WA_Store_Cart_Index+1?>" id="item_name_<?php echo $WA_Store_Cart_Index+1?>" value="<?php echo $WA_Store_Cart->DisplayInfo("Name"?> - delivery Time: <?php echo ((isset($_SESSION["deleveryTime"]))?$_SESSION["deleveryTime"]:""?>" />

Dave W

Hi Jason
How many session items can you add to this hidden element?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the item name can be 127 characters long

https://cms.paypal.com/mx/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/e_howto_html_Appx_websitestandard_htmlvariables

Dave W

Thanks Jason,
So if I wanted to add more fields, what would be the best way to do it. The site is using PayPal standard.
Thanks,
Dave

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

there are also on0_<?php echo $WA_Store_Cart_Index+1; ?> / os0_<?php echo $WA_Store_Cart_Index+1; ?> elements on the page that can be used for bpassing option information.

<input type="hidden" name="on0_<?php echo $WA_Store_Cart_Index+1; ?>" id="on0_<?php echo $WA_Store_Cart_Index+1; ?>" value="Option Name" />
<input type="hidden" name="os0_<?php echo $WA_Store_Cart_Index+1; ?>" id="os0_<?php echo $WA_Store_Cart_Index+1; ?>" value="Option value" />

the on0_<?php echo $WA_Store_Cart_Index+1; ?> element is used for setting ooption name (i.e. Color or Size)

The os0_<?php echo $WA_Store_Cart_Index+1; ?> element is used for passing the value (i.e. Red or Small)

Dave W

Thanks again Jason

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you're welcome.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...