close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

size of PhotoGallery Slideshow - Wide

Thread began 2/11/2011 12:47 pm by fil2 | Last modified 2/12/2011 3:45 pm by neilo | 4265 views | 12 replies |

fil2

size of PhotoGallery Slideshow - Wide

What is the correct size to make images to place in the default Slideshow - Wide option of a photo gallery in PowerStore 4.

All I want to do is place a slide show into the "Site Message" area of the home page. From a snapshot I worked out a size of 996 x 220. I sized my images to match and still when the slide show runs the images are zoomed in and cropped off on all edges.

What did I miss?

-fil2

Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

Hi fil2,

You will need to make sure that the gallery has re-processed the images so that the correct image sizes are written to the page.

I understand that if you apply a watermark to the images (or remove it), the procedure forces a rewrite the image details to html. You can remove (or re-add) the watermark as required.

That would be something to try.

neilo

Also, I measure the images at 999 x 260px.

fil2

999 x 260

It looks to me that the size of that space in PowerStore 3 is 999 x 260 and the new template in PowerStore 4 has it at a smaller size. The size that im seeing in the new PowerStore is 960 x 220.

When I place the slide show in that same space it seems to place the old size of 999 x 260. It also hangs off the right side of the page. Also regardless of the size of the images I use to create the photo gallery it re-sizes the images cropping off the edges.

neilo

Hi fil2,

Yes, - I see what you mean. I think that the powerstore gallery is a condensed version of the solution package, tuned for PowerStore use. As such, I can't find the options to add default sizes that I would usually edit. Hopefully the WA peeps will correct me on this if I am mistaken.

But I think you can hard-code the width value into the JavaScript, as the script overrides any css changes you might make.

I can get it to work fairly nicely for me if I open the In the galleries/slideshow_wide/gallery.js file and - at about line 35 - adjust the following code:

//determine max image size to make sure all fit ok
this.fullsizeWrapper.getElements('img').each(function(image) {
var w = image.get('width').toInt();
if(w > this.maxImageWidth) {
this.maxImageWidth = w;
}

and hard-code the width to (say):

//determine max image size to make sure all fit ok
this.fullsizeWrapper.getElements('img').each(function(image) {
var w = 848;
if(w > this.maxImageWidth) {
this.maxImageWidth = w;
}

This size worked OK for me when I tested it.

This means that I would make sure that any images I uploaded were cropped or resized proportionally in Photoshop (or whatever) to 848px x 260px.

Presumably, the same could be done for the height attribute in the same way.

fil2

Will this effect how PowerStore 4 works with other gallerys?

Will this effect how PowerStore 4 works with other gallerys?

neilo

No, it won't affect how PowerStore works, but if you place a 'Slideshow Wide' gallery anywhere else, it will also have the new, narrower width.

If you have any doubts as to how it will appear, do a 'Save As' of the original javascript file (i.e. as slideshow_wide/gallery2.js) in case you want to return to it later, and close it. Make the changes to gallery.js.

Each of the gallery templates has its own javascript (gallery.js) file, so can't be affected by this change.

It would look like this with a width of 848px.

fil2

still re-sizeing and clipping

I made the size 848 and it was too small. Then I made it 960 and it was perfect. YEA!

I still have the problem of it resizing the images and clipping them off. It places the images flush to the top and centered. It still clips left, right and bottom.

Great progress though. Any idea how to get it to stop resizing my images?

neilo

The slideshow wide was really made to present a 'banner' type slideshow, so you would really need to make all of the images for this slideshow with the same proportions as 960 x 260 (or larger but still with a 48:13 w/h proportional ratio).

This might mean selecting areas of your images to crop to these proportions, or stretching/overlaying/gradient etc the images to fit the 48:13 ratio.

The alternative would require:

1. further modification of javascript (beyond me - but someone might be able to help) and a good grasp of maths, or
2. using a separate PowerGallery solution which would give you more flexibility (by being able to add custom dimensions to a global file), or
3. using a different gallery template that doesn't depend on proportional sizing.
I would think that selectively editing/cropping/resizing in Photoshop or other program would be the easiest and most aesthetically appropriate option here.

fil2

Should I have been useing PowerGallery all along?

My images have been made to fit 960 x 220. That's why I find it strange it is scaling them at all.

I will install PowerGallery and give that a try.

Thanks for all your help so far its great to know there is someone out there that will help me along with this process.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...