close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

More detailed tutorial for comments

Thread began 2/10/2011 6:05 pm by DaveTurton | Last modified 2/14/2011 6:55 pm by Dani Chankhour | 3641 views | 10 replies |

DaveTurton

More detailed tutorial for comments

Can you create a more detailed video of the use of the Comments option? Something along the lines of showing how to setup the Facebook end? I tried it and it kind of directed me to an Application Builder. Is that correct?

Sign in to reply to this post

stevealexa15116

I agree Dave

Please someone at WA be a little more specific with the FB set up

Neil Beadle

Hey Guys,

We'll do our best to clarify that section of the Getting Started Guide as soon as possible.

Here are a few pointers that may help out when using the Facebook Comments feature:

The Application ID needs to be obtained from Facebook before you can use this feature. This requires that you have a Facebook account, and are logged into Facebook with that account when you try to obtain the ID.
1. Log into your Facebook account.
2. Go to this page: setup/
3. Enter the name of your site. For example: My Cool Store
4. Enter the Site URL. For example: mycoolstore.com/
- Make sure you include the "/" at the end.
- You need to use a live site URL. One that is stored locally and cannot be accessed publicly will not work because Facebook needs to return information to your page.
5. Choose a Locale.
6. Click Create app.
7. Enter the words you see in the "Security Check"

The next page contains all the information for your Facebook App.

For the Facebook Comments, you only need to keep track of the App ID.

Hopefully this helps you guys out a little more. If you have more questions, let me know and i will see about answering those and updating the docs.

-Neil

DaveTurton

It would all probably work if I didn't keep getting redirected to the page screenshot I've attached. Once I click on the Mobile Phone link it shows me the second attached image. Does this cost money to use or something?

Neil Beadle

Dave,

It is absolutely a free service. However, it looks like Facebook requires that you have verified your account before you can use it to create apps.

The second image seems to indicate your account has now been verified. Are you still not able to enter your app details and get the app id?

-Neil

DaveTurton

I verified my phone a while back for some other reason that I can't remember. The thing is that I can't find anywhere to acquire an application ID. I just keep running in circles. I'll keep trying but let me know if you find something out.

DaveTurton

I finally added my CC information and it got me past the setup. It just seems to be one wall after another though. The dialog box won't close after I hit okay. And it only shows the icons stacked in the building mode in dreamweaver. It doesn't show the grayed out Social Media Toolkit in place. I just don't get it. I have more trouble with these plugins then I can imagine.

I'm going to create a new user and try it and see if that help at all.

DaveTurton

Okay, I created a new user on my machine and only installed the social media plugin. Same stuff happened with it not accepting the okay button, well, at least not closing the window. I do see it dropping icons in the background but without the Social Media Toolkit badge. If I click the okay button a second time it then puts it there but as a second grouping. So I hit cancel and delete the first group it inserted.

In the div tag Masthead I have any text etc set to right justify. Should I wrap the social media toolkit in a paragraph tag or something weird like that?

Dani Chankhour

Can you please send me a page that you are tying to use the Social Media extension on?

It seems strange that the Wizard is not closing when you click the OK button, do you have a site defined in Dreamweaver?

DaveTurton

Here is the link to where I have the social media icons. I placed it in the template so it would reflect on every page. Keep in mind that I had to click Okay twice then click cancel to make it work. I could do a screen capture video to show you it doing it. It always seems like it's just me having these problems.

www.thegraphiclibrary.com/

One of my goals this weekend it to clean any crap I have on my comp. I've also attached a screenshot of where I placed the Social Media Toolkit in dreamweaver and you can see that it's right justified.

I've given up on the Facebook comments for now. Once I put everything in place it wouldn't even show up on the page. For a second it would act like it was loading up then just quit. Seems like there's a lot to do on the Facebook side to make that work.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...