close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Current Page Link Color

Thread began 1/24/2011 4:31 pm by RobertB | Last modified 1/26/2011 8:10 am by RobertB | 3306 views | 7 replies |

RobertB

Current Page Link Color

I have searched some on Google but not figuring it out...working on a site with basic text navigation...I have customized my header text links code to the appropriate colors but the 'Active' page does not show the CSS...Do I need to add some code in the body somewhere?

index.html

Both top and bottom have the same issues but different color schemes.

Thanks in advance.

Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

Hi Robert,

There is one (not very elegant) solution that you could use. There are solutions out there that use javascript, but as your site is non-dynamic, and as there are only a few pages, this might most easily suit your purposes.

Your top menu is at line 49 of each page:

<td width="523" height="40" valign="bottom"><a href="index.html">home</a> | <a href="ward4_issues.html">issues</a> | <a href="ward4_events.html">news and events </a>| <a href="ward4_resources.html">community resources</a> |<a href="contact_wade.html"> contact wade</a></td>

which is easier to demonstrate with if I seperate it into one line per element in code view (which is effectively the same code).

On each of your pages, add an inline style to the link that is referencing the particular page it is on. So (for instance) on your 'home' page, you would be adding the style in the form of style="color:#FFFF33;"

<td width="523" height="40" valign="bottom">
<a href="index.html" style="color:#FFFF33;">home</a> |
<a href="ward4_issues.html">issues</a> |
<a href="ward4_events.html">news and events</a> |
<a href="ward4_resources.html">community resources</a> |
<a href="contact_wade.html"> contact wade</a>
</td>

and if it were in the menu on your 'news and events' page, it would be:

<a href="index.html">home</a> |
<a href="ward4_events.html" style="color:#FFFF33;">news and events</a> |
</td>

and so on for each page.

For the menu at the bottom, you might want a different style for the currently selected item. So in each page that menu is on, for the item that references that page, do the same (say) style="color:#6D0C26;" ), i.e: on the 'contact wade' page, it would be:

<td width="270" height="85" align="left" valign="bottom">
<p>
<a href="contact_wade.html" style="color:#6D0C26;">contact wade</a>
</p>
</td>

As I say, not too elegant, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a site with a large number of pages and sub pages, but I think it would be a reasonable solution in this case.

RobertB

Hello Neilo...

Thank you for your comprehensive response....I tried your recommendations on the index.html and contact_wade.html pages and it did not work for Firefox and IE8. Could you take a look at my code and see if I missed something?

I hope you are on the WA payroll because you are very helpful.

-Robert

neilo

Hi Robert,

Not quite sure what went wrong here, but in both those pages I am seeing:

style=""

instead of:

style="color:#FFFF33;"

Try copying

color:#FFFF33;

and pasting it between the quote marks, and let us know how you get on once you have re-uploaded the pages.

BIG FAT EDIT: Robert, I am an idiot - I forgot to put the hash # before the color hex values above. I have edited them to be correct. You will probably only need to add the # to the color values.

magic.beans3421614

Originally Said By: neilo
  Hi Robert,

There is one (not very elegant) solution that you could use. There are solutions out there that use javascript, but as your site is non-dynamic, and as there are only a few pages, this might most easily suit your purposes.

Your top menu is at line 49 of each page:

<td width="523" height="40" valign="bottom"><a href="index.html">home</a> | <a href="ward4_issues.html">issues</a> | <a href="ward4_events.html">news and events </a>| <a href="ward4_resources.html">community resources</a> |<a href="contact_wade.html"> contact wade</a></td>
which is easier to demonstrate with if I seperate it into one line per element in code view (which is effectively the same code).

On each of your pages, add an inline style to the link that is referencing the particular page it is on. So (for instance) on your 'home' page, you would be adding the style in the form of style="color:FFFF33;"

<a href="index.html" style="color:FFFF33;">home</a> |
<a href="ward4_events.html">news and events</a> |
</td>
and if it were in the menu on your 'news and events' page, it would be:
<a href="ward4_events.html" style="color:FFFF33;">news and events</a> |
</td>
and so on for each page.

For the menu at the bottom, you might want a different style for the currently selected item. So in each page that menu is on, for the item that references that page, do the same (say) style="color:#6D0C26;" ), i.e: on the 'contact wade' page, it would be:
<td width="270" height="85" align="left" valign="bottom">
<p>
.com]D
<a href="contact_wade.html" style="color:#6D0C26;">contact wade</a>
</p>
</td>
As I say, not too elegant, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a site with a large number of pages and sub pages, but I think it would be a reasonable solution in this case.  

Hi,thanks for sharing the information here.Really a nice information is provided by you here and i'm sure it would be very helpful for me.Thanks a lot again for sharing the information here...

Website Development Denver

Denver Web Designs

RobertB

Thanks Neilo...I am enough of a coder I should have been able to discern the '#' was missing...but, thanks for catching that and this is the perfect solution for a small site like this....I really appreciate your help!

anonymous

Hi Robert,

And just for a little geek speak if I may, the term "Active" in the selector class is a bit misleading. It wasn't meant to mean when that page is selected but actually when the link itself is being clicked. I know - a split second of the Active class is what you see. Typically a lot of designers rarely even bothering to set the Active selector and if they do, it is many times set exactly as the hover state.

I typically change the current page link dynamically with PHP code like this:

php:
<a href="home.php" <?php if ($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'] == 'home.php') { echo 'class="current"'; } ?>>home</a>
<a href="about.php" <?php if ($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'] == 'about.php') { echo 'class="current"'; } ?>>about</a>
<a href="contact.php" <?php if ($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'] == 'contact.php') { echo 'class="current"'; } ?>>contact</a>

Then I would put the menu as a standalone file and include it into anything and that way if you need to make changes, you would only have to do it once and republish the menu file.

Then you can set the class "current" to whatever different color you want in your CSS sheet.

Best regards,

Brian

RobertB

Thanks Brian...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...