close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

CM delete pages and XML sitemaps

Thread began 1/22/2011 9:30 am by Alan Winthrop | Last modified 1/25/2011 2:23 pm by Alan Winthrop | 2209 views | 4 replies |

Alan Winthrop

CM delete pages and XML sitemaps

Hello Group,

I have Site Sculptor basic product.

I am struggling to delete unwanted pages from CM Home as per an admin login.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

From reading other postings it seems to be difficult to achieve. As the site is up and running I cannot re-enter Site Sculptor with a modified template. I also did not find the 'add pages with CMS to template' at the time. So it also seems I also cannot add any pages with a green (+) when editing in CM.

I have deleted some pages from within Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 but this has not helped get rid of them in the CMS system.

My concern is now, that when running XML sitemap software or creating an HTML sitemap these redundant pages are being thrown up. I can partly modify these results with manipulation. However the search engine bots will all the same likely find pages that do not exist on my website!

Can you give any suggestions how I can get rid of these unwanted pages at my CM admin login.

I wonder if there is any simple way the CMS admin can be modified in Cpanel by entering the database at my website? Would this be a work around solution?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
With regards
Alan

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

as far as the PowerCMS Admin is concerned, the concept of pages is not the same as a physical page in the file system.

the concept of a page in the CMS Admin panel is virtual page, it is really more of an organizational construct used to associate the content area to the page it will be displayed on.

Deleting the "page" from the CMS will not delete the physical page from the servers file system.

this cant be done from the admin panel, you would need to log into the servers ftp to delete the physical page.

Alan Winthrop

Jason, thank you for your input.

The Site Sculptor I have is stand alone and does not have Power Content Management but I understand in principal why you have made reference to it.

Although the Admin panel may be a virtual page, it does not seem to stop content from it appearing when my site is trawled, which is my concern.

Thank you for the suggestion to look at the ftp files at the server.

If I follow this route, I am concerned that the original template of pages (established when I intially created my site on Site Sculptor) would be re-instigated at the Admin of the CMS, when I later synchronize my site from Dreamweaver CS3 through standard new file uploadoading.

Would I be at risk of undoing all my time and work of deletion at the server by auto file uploads from my local server as it put up 'dependant' files' or when I do a site complete synchronize?

I would not want them to appear again!

Understandably I am hesitant to delete files on my local host if it stops the CMS working.

It make things rather confusing as I try to solve this.

Thank you all the same for you time.
With regards
Alan

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

If you delete the pages from the server, but not from the local host, then yes, if you do a complete synchronize, the pages will be re uploaded to the server.

Deleting the content [pages should not have any effect on the CMS Admin, they are desperate entities. You can have content in the CMS that does not have a physical page to display on.

if you are hesitant to delete the files, then just back them up to another location, you should be doing this as a matter of course anyway.

Alan Winthrop

Jason,

Thank you for you explainations. I now have an idea of what files I need to delete and will proceed with caution.

It is good to know that pages as CMS Admin do not have to have content to be safe to hold without appearing as website page entries. I was concerned about this and SEO.

I feel I can now proceed.
Thanks again.

With regards
Alan

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...