close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

No EDIT button in properties, cant edit menu

Thread began 1/19/2011 2:56 pm by Smart-FX | Last modified 1/20/2011 10:59 am by Jason Byrnes | 3913 views | 21 replies |

Smart-FX

No EDIT button in properties, cant edit menu

hi, the edit option is not available in the properties menu when selecting my menu so i cannot edit my menu, please help, i want to avoid uninstalling the exstension incase i lose my current menu.

www.smart-fx.tv

Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

Ho Tony,

Are you clicking the little jacascript icon next to the icon? That will show the edit buttons in the properties panel.

If you can't see a small javascript icon, go to Dreamweaver's Edit > Preferences > Invisible Elements > and make sure that the Scripts checkbox is ticked.

Smart-FX

hi there, there is no icon showing, i have checked the scripts box in invisible elements. am i not selecting the menu properly. or is there an issue with the code. thanks for the speedy reply

neilo

That's odd, you should be able to see a little little javascript icon next to the menu (in 'design view'). Never nind, i- go to code view, and place your cursor inside the menuwriter javascript code block, which looks a bit like this:

<script type="text/javascript">if(window.attachEvent) { window.attachEvent("onload", function() { cssmw.intializeMenu('cssmw',{select_current: 0, orientation: 1}); }); } else if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener("load", function() { cssmw.intializeMenu('cssmw',{select_current: 0, orientation: 1}); }, true); }</script>

The edit buttons should now show up in the properties panel.

Sorry to be long in replying, - the town's power supply went off as I was about to post back.

Smart-FX

hi, thanks for the reply, ha no probs, tried that and still not working, even tried copying the code you put and puting into the same line.

neilo

Hi Tony,

Is your menu an include on a .php page, or is it on an html page?

Is there a link to your page on -line?

Are you still unable to see the javascript? Try looking at the menu.php page directly (there should be a link to it in your page) :

Edit: Deleted

In your preferences, under 'Invisible Elements', at the bottom - is the 'Server-Side Includes: Show contents of included file' checked? If not, check that too.

Sorry, I'm an idiot. The path to your php page is in your include. Ignore the css link above.

<?php require_once("CSSMenuWriter/cssmw/menu.php"); ?>

neilo

Hi Tony,

I managed to find your page (looks good). As it's an html page, I was able to duplicate the page on my machine, but can't find out what the problem would be.

See Attached images.

I have the 'scripts' checkbox ticked in 'Invisibles' in Dreamweaver preferences, and the small javascript icon shows up just fine. When I click on it, the menu 'Edit' buttons appear in the properties inspector/panel. It should be the same for you, and if (in code view) you place your cursor anywhere inside the javascript block of code at around line 83 of the code, you should also get the edit buttons appearing in the properties panel/inspector.

I'm at a loss to think why you are unable to get to those buttons. Make sure that you are not using 'Live Preview' while trying th edit.

What OS and version are you using, what version of DreamWeaver or other software are you using? Are you editing the page in a defined site in Dreamweaver?

Perhaps if you post those details, Jason will know immediately where the problem might be. Your code is fine. Perhaps you could try downloading the page from your live server to replace your local copy, as I know its OK, just in case your local copy has got corrupted somehow.

Sorry to have been useless in this case, - wasting your time - if I think of anything, I'll post back.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Tony at the bottom of the menu, do you not see the little script icon like in the screen shot that Neilo posted?

Clicking the script icon should trigger the edit buttons in the property inspector.

The only thing i can see in your page code that may pose an issue is that the menu is inside a list, Try using a div instead of a list as the menu container.

if you still having an issue, it could be something with the way the site is set up. In the Dreamweaver site, is the page at the root o the site? Is the CSSMenuWriter folder at the root of the site?

Can you post screen shots showing your site settings, especial the local files path.

Also, what is your version of Dreamweaver and what is your OS?

Smart-FX

thanks for your time neilo, no probs, appretiate any help. hi jason, ive posted the pics of both the root folder and what i see when i try to select my menu, also before i inserted the menu, beacause i used a html template, there was already links in the container which i deleted before inserting the menu. My os is Windows 7 Ultimate and im using dreaweaver cs5.

my site settings are;

sites; site name smartfx, local site folder; D:\WebSites\web\
cloaking is not checked
design notes, checked. enable upload design notes for shareing; is not checked
enable contribute compatibilty; is not checked
templates is checked
spry is D:\WebSites\web\web\

i have uploaded pics of other settings

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

well the first problem is that the script invisible elements icon is not enabled.

see neilo's screen shots from this post:
showpost.php?p=87639&postcount=7

the second issue is the way the site is defined.

All of the webassist extensions will create any supporting files at the root of the site, and that is where they will expect to find them. In your case, though, there is a subfolder called webs, the index page is in this subfolder, it is linked to the CssMenuWriter folder at the same level:
@import url("CSSMenuWriter/cssmw/menu.css");

But the software is going to look for the CSSMenuWriter folder at the root, change the site definition to point to d:\websites\Web\Web as the site root.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...