close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Pixel Size of Images

Thread began 1/12/2011 12:51 am by photoeyes2u348674 | Last modified 2/23/2011 2:00 pm by Jason Byrnes | 4791 views | 19 replies |

photoeyes2u348674

Pixel Size of Images

Perhaps this has been covered before, but it is critical to me. I have sized my images to exactly 782 px wide. They are 521 px height as I have a full size sensor in a Canon 5D. I do all my own enhancements, color correction, sharpening, etc., so the size of each image shown must be exactly the same as what I configure in Photoshop to show my work.

I may crop some images, but I don't want Powergallery to resize anything. What size width (pixels) of landscape images should I make them in photoshop to fit exactly in Powergallery so it won't resize?

Also, what about verticals? I will have several vertical images of portraits. These must be the same size as I make them in Photoshop to show the true quality and sharpening; no resizing. I hate to be so picky, but this is my business to show what I do. Can someone fill me in? I thought I could just upload images of any size and they would stay the same. This isn't explained in the advertising for PowerGallery.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

when images are uploaded, copies are created and re sized to the following dimensions:
proportional:
1024w x 768h
782w x 481h
163w x 92h

cropped
62w x 62h
132w x 140h
102w x 102h
42w x 42h
782w x 481h
999w x 260h

this is set in the admin_gallery/common/properties.php page, you could create a custom size if you like, for details see this thread:
showthread.php?t=8844&highlight=properties

photoeyes2u348674

Thanks for answering promptly. I read this thread before, but this doesn't answer the problem of exactly the pixel size inside the frame of an image, considering the frame reduces the full size image to fit into the frame itself. I uploaded a 782 px wide image. I looked at the image in Photoshop as I had configured it and also in the preview gallery. The gallery reduces the image to fit into the frame. There is some difference in quality of the image. I would like to know how many pixels the frame incorporates or reduces the image.

If I knew the exact size of the image inside the frame, I could make my images this size so the frame would only sit on the perimeter of the image, not reduce it. Perhaps I'm asking something that isn't possible, as the images are reduced automatically to fit the frame.

If I have to go into the code and change for the images, then I'm spending time doing that and the purpose of the gallery is to upload images in a timely fashion to save workflow. I'm not familiar with the php code and can't seem to find this in the admin area for custom sizing.

I could custom crop the images in Photoshop just for samples to show, if I knew exactly the size the image was going to be inside the frame. I really appreciate the help. Some images will be samples for customers so they must be high quality. Other images are from car shows so these will be on the net for years. Thanks again.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

in the galleries folder, there is a subfolder for each gallery. In that subfolder, there is an index.php file.

in that file, it sets the thumb and large image sizes by a line that looks like:

$gallery = get_gallery(get_mediarss_url('gallery=' . $pg_id . '&thumb=62c&full=782p'));

in this case the thumbnail is using the 62w x 62h cropped image, and the 782w x 481h proportional image.

the JavaScript will automatically set the image frame to use the 782w x 481h dimensions.

Yes, the images will be resized by on upload automatically and re sampled, regardless of whether the original image size matches what is used.

photoeyes2u348674

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  in the galleries folder, there is a subfolder for each gallery. In that subfolder, there is an index.php file.

in that file, it sets the thumb and large image sizes by a line that looks like:

$gallery = get_gallery(get_mediarss_url('gallery=' . $pg_id . '&thumb=62c&full=782p'));

in this case the thumbnail is using the 62w x 62h cropped image, and the 782w x 481h proportional image.

the JavaScript will automatically set the image frame to use the 782w x 481h dimensions.

Yes, the images will be resized by on upload automatically and re sampled, regardless of whether the original image size matches what is used.  

Thanks, Jason. I was working on images and didn't know you posted this. I will print this out and keep it in mind if I need to change the code.

photoeyes2u348674

I have been experimenting with the images in Photoshop and also going through the different gallery designs as I upload a sample image to incorporate it in a gallery. I will make up my images to 1564 px x 962 px, saving them at 200 dpi and making sure the sharpening is good. This is twice the pixel count for the gallery size.

This way, the image has more of the original pixel size and is not upsized too much when I complete it. My original pixel size is: 4368 px x 2912 px, so just to crop it 782 x 481 is upsizing it pixel wise (stretching it) to incorporate the image. It May sound confusing, but it seems the 200 dpi size is pretty good when the gallery downsizes to 782 x 481.

Upsizing is where you can really get pixelation or waviness and photo degradation. In other words, I originally uploaded 500 px wide images, and they really broke down in the gallery. I am using the Slideshow Dissolve. I guess this is the best to be done at this point.

I just thought this might help others with similar problems if your images look bad. If anyone else has thoughts on this, I'd like to hear them. I don't know what else to do.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Glad to hear your experimentation is giving you good results.

photoeyes2u348674

Maybe I'm not understanding about the vertical images. Exactly what is the pixel size after they are resized to fit the galleries? I would like to add verticals along with landscape images to some galleries. I'd need to re size the verticals and sharpen, etc. Thanks so much.

neilo

If (for example) the image size arrays in your properties.php file are:

proportional:
1024w x 768h
782w x 481h
163w x 92h

cropped
62w x 62h
132w x 140h
102w x 102h
42w x 42h
782w x 481h
999w x 260h

and if you are using the slideshow_dissolve gallery without editing it in any way, then the width will be 782px, and the height will be cropped (not resized) to 481px.

p = proportional, c = cropped

Line 14 of your slideshow_dissolve/index.php file would read:

$gallery = get_gallery(get_mediarss_url('gallery=' . $pg_id . '&thumb=62c&full=782c'));

The '782c' indicates 782px wide, height cropped (to 481px).

Look at the third image in each of the two galleries here and here.

The first (ribbon_fullsize) reduces the height to 481px (in which case the width becomes proportional to its height [481/782]*height , in which case you would optimise your portrait images assuming a finished height of 481px if the array selected in the properties.php file (via line 14 code in your index.php file = '&thumb=62c&full=782p') was proportional, 782w x 481h.

The second (slideshow_dissolve) crops the height of the image to 481px, assuming a finished width of 782 px if the array selected in the properties.php file (via line 14 code in your index.php file = '&thumb=62c&full=782c') was cropped, 782w x 481h. In this case, as the image is being cropped (not resized) you would optimise you image to fit width 782px, and a selected area height of 481px. The cropping is indiscriminate, and (presumably) crops to the middle.

EDIT: In either of these methods, the portrait images suffer a little in comparison to the landscape images. If you wanted to present them equally, you have two choices (or is it one choice between two options?) - either:

Have two galleries, one for P and one for C, - you would need to add an array to the properties.php file favouring portrait orientation, and add that option to your chosen gallery index.php file, or:

Create the display area of a single gallery for both with an equal height and width (i.e. 782px x 782px), and again you would need to add an (proportional) array to the properties.php, and add that option to your chosen gallery index.php file.

In each case you would also have to adjust the stylesheets that apply to the chosen gallery.

photoeyes2u348674

Thanks so much for the detailed answer. I am going to digest this and try to set up my portraits accordingly. I did set up some small sample images of customer finished photos by extending the canvas of the original images, and included them at the end of some of my galleries. I understand now that the galleries are actually landscape oriented.

I can't afford to distort people portraits, or crop them too much, so I will have to extend the canvas in Photoshop, to have the black area on the outside. This is an example of what I did so far. index.php?gallery=1&theme=dark

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...