close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Problems with short description

Thread began 1/11/2011 7:00 pm by kim420431 | Last modified 1/12/2011 12:10 pm by kim420431 | 1113 views | 4 replies |

kim420431

Problems with short description

Every product I've built pages for in PS4 I've used a standard 3-4 line text block that I paste into the description field over 3-4 lines and saved as the default. Then I go in and add options and when I'm done and go back and look at each product and options the short description is lost accept for one line of text. Every time!! I can't get it to keep a multi-line text description on short description. What's going on here? Why won't it maintain a general description provided on the first setup and hold onto the short description? It's really tedious to build the product options and then find out that there's text missing from the descriptions.

Need help with this. It's really bugging me and I can't imagine why it is happening...

~Kim

Sign in to reply to this post

kim420431

After testing again

I've realized that it just truncates the short description completely!!! How many characters have you allowed on the short description? It's not even the fact that I'm using line breaks in the short description. Even when I type the same information on a single like with terms seperated by a blank space it still looses all the information except for the first 31 characters.

I'm trying to include this as the short description:
Surface: Lightly Textured Matte Thickness: 23 mil Optical Brightener: Yes Archival Certified: Yes

And would prefer it be formatted like this:
Surface: Lightly Textured
Matte Thickness: 23 mil
Optical Brightener: Yes
Archival Certified: Yes

And in every case what I end up getting is this:

Surface: Lightly Textured Matte

That's it!! What's going on with the short description block??

~Kim

kim420431

Now I'm getting really screwy stuff on the product list

So I've looked in the schema for the product as defined in the SQL table and the short description is supposed to be a varchar(1000). I'm assuming this should support a 1000 characters.

What I've noticed is the short description when viewing the product list inside store manager isn't printing all the information in the short description. If I exit store manager and go to the shop and look at the same product listing the information is there. But now I'm seeing in the two products I have listed a completely different look for the "Learn more" button. I have a screen shot of this that I've uploaded. Why is the button different for the two different products?

Could you please get back to me about the problems with the short description block, why the buttons look different and why the short description shows properly in the store but not the store manager?

Thanks

~Kim

Dani Chankhour

We don't truncate the short description on the front end catalog page, but we do truncate it on the admin product results page. If you want to remove that limitation, you can change this line of code:

<?php echo substr(strip_tags($ProductShortDesc), 0 , 53); ?>

in the admin/products_results.php to:

<?php echo strip_tags($ProductShortDesc); ?>

In regard to the learn more button, can you please post a link to the page. It might have to do with the short description missing an end tag.

kim420431

More info...

It somehow corrected itself last night. Would have been nice to know that the short description was truncated inside admin panel. I thought I was going CRAZY! In the end after spending an inordinate amount of time changing and testing on both sides of the admin interface I realized that what an end user sees looks correct. It's just doing the weird stuff in the admin interface as you stated.

Don't know what happen with the button. It appears to be working now. Just that one instance during my fit of confusion that it appeared and I grabbed a screen shot of it so I could explain.

think this has been cleared up now...at least I hope! I'll look at the code and possible extend the field you pointed to so I don't notice the discrepancy between the real interface and the admin interface. Thanks for the pointers!!

~Kim

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...