close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Insert into multiple tables

Thread began 1/07/2011 7:22 am by mrs | Last modified 1/07/2011 11:36 am by Jason Byrnes | 5683 views | 7 replies |

mrs

Insert into multiple tables

Hi, I might have a situation where I need to insert into multiple tables on submission of a form. Is data assist able to insert into multiple tables?

If not, am I able to create two inserts from data assist on the same page and then edit them together in some way?

Thanks.

Mat

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you would need to add an insert record behavior for each table you wish to add the information to.

just make sure that only the last insert record behavior has the redirect set.

mrs

Cor, that was a quick reply!

So, in that respect, i could enter into loads of tables at once then! The more I use this stuff the more it makes sense.

It would also allow me to deal with DB relationships very easily wouldn't it?

Thanks.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

yes, you could have many insert record behaviors on one page.

In each one, there is a section called Session Variable, this stores the ID of the inserted record into a session named by the Store as setting. See the attached screen shot.

Use this session to create the relationships.

in most cases, the other tables will relate to the first table using a one to many relationship, so use the session created by the first insert record behavior in the other tables.

mrs

OK, thanks Jason.

I don't fully understand what you have just said about the session variable, but I'll have a look through the gsg to see if I can figure out the help there before bothering you.

That means I shall probably be back here later tonight =D

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

when the record is inserted, the primarey key id value of the record is stored in a session variable. This allows you to create your relations ships when the records are stored in the other tables by using this session variable in the foreign key columns.

mrs

Right, having looked at this, do you mean that the auto incremented ID is created, then passed into the session variable, then the session variable inserts it into the relationship table (foreign key table)?

So, on that basis, I assume that any code creating the ID's needs to be placed before the insert behaviours code so the session variable insert has something to collect and therefore insert.

For example, I would have a product sector table ID and a manufacturer table ID, and it is those two ID's I insert into the relationship table.

Do I understand this correctly?

I don't need to set up foreign keys within the MySQL database do I? I can use SQL queries to create the relationships can't I?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

no, you re not quite getting it.

when the record is inserted, a session is created that contains the primary key value of the record. This is done inside of the insert record behavior. You wont need to move any code around. You dont need to be concerned about the order of the code that is creating the session variable except to make sure that the record is inserted to the parent table before inserting to the child table.

on the insert that goes into the child table, use the session variable form the parent table insert in the foreign key column.

no, you do not need to set up foreign key column in the database.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...