close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Changeable product options

Thread began 1/06/2011 4:19 am by moz1104419172 | Last modified 1/07/2011 7:35 am by Jason Byrnes | 2000 views | 5 replies |

moz1104419172

Changeable product options

Hi,

Iv been attempting to wrack my brain around how i can come up with a database solution for a website im trying to build, unfortunately this is my first attempt at using this WA system so I cant confess to being anything of an expert on it.

What im trying to do is with the product options for certain items im trying to sell, mostly the items are clothes and most of them arent problematic, i believe i have figured out how to do size, style and basic colour etc.

But the problem is that some of them have 2 colours which change depending on what the primary colour is, ie. i have:

Red, Black, Blue, Grey and White tshirts and the same colour is available for the logo on each, the problem being you cant have a red tshirt with a red logo as it wouldnt show up nor would selecting the same colours for both in any combination

Basically im trying to figure out a way so that if someone chooses the primary colour of Red in the first product option dropdown, the only options available for the secondary colour are Blue, Black, Grey and White and similarly depending on what primary colour they choose

I thought i was on the verge of properly understanding the product options until i thought that this solution would require me to reconfigure the database structure to have another table in, and thats when i figured i would be out of my depth

Any help would be great

Thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

this would not be done through the database.

you would need to hand code a javascript function to clear the child list out and populate it again with values, using an if statement, you could make sure that it is not populated with the value that is initially selected.

ill need to be fairly proficient at programing javascript to get this working.

moz1104419172

Oh, i think i have a method of using chained dropdowns to make it work as i want, but then would eCart know to collect the value from the dropdowns when the selection is added to cart?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

if you have the eCart add to cart button create the dropdown list on the page it will.

moz1104419172

So if i follow the eCart product option tutorial on the site, but instead of using dynamic lookup to populate the dropdowns made by eCart i use this method to change the dropdown properties in realtime, that should work?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

yes, that should do the trick.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...