close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Update Page

Thread began 12/28/2010 5:41 pm by davidp420108 | Last modified 12/29/2010 7:31 am by Ray Borduin | 860 views | 1 replies |

davidp420108

Update Page

I have built a series of pages with DA and they all work great. The thing I would like to fix though is it doesn't auto populate the input file fields.

I am uploading images and if there are 10 photos on a page, and if I only want to change one, I have to re-enter or upload all of them or it leaves a null value (or something) and removes the prior uploaded files, leaving me with only the "new" uploaded files.

I have searched the forums and found others with this problem, but no explanation on how to solve it, that I understand.

On a normal input text field, it is easy enough to default-dynamically assign a value to it (with the init val field in properties), but I don't see that option on the "file field" input.

Is this something DA can assist with or do I need to code it. Directions for either would be much appreciated.

This is some code a hacked at:
<input type="file" name="Photo_10_File" id="Photo_10_File" value="<?php echo(str_replace('"', '&quot;', $row_WADAinventory_tbl['Photo_10'])); ?>" size="32" />

If there is a better way, I would love to hear that.

Thanks in advance...

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You can't set the value of a file field in html for security reasons so that you can't take files from someone from a hidden file field on a form, so that technique won't work.

What you can do, is populate an image field above or beside your file field, or put the value to the left or right of the file field.

Then in the file upload server behaviors (you would use one per upload field), you would specify the default value of the upload to be equal to the field in the database associated with that photo.

The input file field stays blank, but they can see if there is an image or what the image is by adding a thumbnail of the image beside it. Then if they don't specify a value, it stays blank, and dataAssist will use the default value for the image, which is the original value from the updated recordset (what you currently are trying to set to the value of the file field, should be the default value of the upload server behavior).

Sign in to reply to this post
Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...