close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Looking for step by step tutorial.....

Thread began 12/15/2010 10:12 am by tone397472 | Last modified 1/26/2011 1:50 pm by Ray Borduin | 6622 views | 37 replies |

tone397472

Looking for step by step tutorial.....

Hi,
Looking for a step by step tutorial to make a simple log in registration administration system.

I'm not interested in a downloadable sql I can make my own database, but need to know how the database is set up to work best with the extensions and why.

The sql from the website is based on a web shop and I only need the login registration administrator part.

I did the Blue Sky tutorial, but this leads not to a simple system I'm looking for.
Of course including encrypting, User Level Authentication and Cookies treatment.

Hope it is somewhere!

Or please answer the first question: If I want a registration-page with:

First name:
Family name:
Email:
Password:

What is the best set up for the database when trying to accomplish this with WA extensions?! And keeping in mind that there will be administrator excess and users excess?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The tutorials available on the security assist support page walk through creating Password encryption and user level authentication.

if you want to create your own database for both user level authentication and password encryption, your database structure would contain 2 tables, the vbasic structure would look like:

users:
userID - Integer, PrimaryKey
userUserLevelID - integer, Foreign Key - relates to userlevel.userLevelID
userEmail - varchar(25) - used as the username column
userPassword - varchar(40) - Password column, needs to allow 40 characters for the SHA1 encryption

you can add other column like userFirstName and userlastName

userlevel:
userLevelID - integer, primary key
userLevel - varchar(25).

if the tutorials are not ending in the simple system you are looking for, perhaps it would be helpful if you described what precisely is the issue you are having. all of the available tutorials ore on the security assist support page.

tone397472

thanks!

Thanks Jason! I'm going to try it with this set up. I was under the impression that I only needed 1 table, maybe that's where it went wrong.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you're welcome.

tone397472

Hi, Can you please help me with the individual steps in the wizards from Data Assist and Security Assist to make a log in system with administrator.

I have been reading all tutorials incl. the Blue Sky one, but can't get my head around it, because the tutorials are to specific to extract the information out of it I need.

I already got the database set up like Jason explained me in a earlier post.

users:
userID - Integer, PrimaryKey
userUserLevelID - integer, Foreign Key - relates to userlevel.userLevelID
userEmail - varchar(25) - used as the username column
userPassword - varchar(40) - Password column, needs to allow 40 characters for the SHA1 encryption

you can add other column like userFirstName and userlastName

userlevel:
userLevelID - integer, primary key
userLevel - varchar(25).

I can make it with Dream Weavers wizard and server behaviors, but I'm looking for a simple one time explanation to work with the Dynamic Suite.

Please some help

Thanks! David

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You would run through the SecurityAssist wizard to create the front end removing the access group field from the registration and user update pages, then you would update the login page so that the userUserLevelID is also stored in the session.

Then you could limit access in the secruity assist rules to check that session variable to give specific privilages to specific groups.

Then use DataAssist to create a set of insert/update pages to allow the admin to set the user group from a list using the userlevel table to populate the select list where you choose the userid.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

tone397472

Hi, Can you please give me further details concerning the database?! For example what fields need a default NULL, INDEX or Auto Increment.
Don't blame me for stupid questions it's the first time I'm trying to use the extensions.
And I really don't understand this in your explanation:

to create the front end removing the access group field from the registration and user update pages

Can you please specify the first steps I make in the security assist wizard with this database setup?!

Why is in the table users the 2th field named userUserlevelID(the foreign key of userlevelID and not userlevelID like his primary key in the table userlevel?!

Thanks! David

Ray BorduinWebAssist

By that I mean that you would run the wizard twice, once for admin and once for general users.

The portion not for admin wouldn't expose the access group field, since you wouldn't want people to be able to choose their access group as they register.

The column names are uniquely named to prevent confusion when referring to them later. They could be the same, really the database design can be whatever you want, but making sure each column is uniquely named we just avoid having to talk about ambiguous column names in joined queries.

tone397472

Thanks! Can I use Data assist for the administrator part? And login as administrator to get there from the normal login page? And not run the Security Assist wizard twice?!

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Security Assist you can run once to create the login page and then protect the admin pages accordingly. You can share a login page with the front end and differentiate based on group.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...