close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

300.000 users? Time for some.......

Thread began 12/14/2010 12:08 pm by tone397472 | Last modified 12/15/2010 12:12 pm by Neil Beadle | 1221 views | 3 replies |

tone397472

300.000 users? Time for some.......

I've been reading about the 300.000 people world wide using Web Assist extensions.:confused:

Is it not time for some up to date tutorials concerning security assist?

Trying to do the on-line tutorials (Introduction to Security Assist, 7 different tutorials) but they are out dated and not consistent with information.

I'm sorry to say but you can make a up to date tutorial in a couple of hours and save months of time solving all the questions here on this forum only there because of the amateurish tutorials and documentation.

Please take one example and not like it is now that half way the tutorials the log in registration pages have suddenly lots of pages with different names that are not in the previous tutorial. Very confusing!!!

Use someone who we can all understand (talks in a normal tempo)and doesn't talk like a gun is pointed on his head all the time!!!!!!!!!

It seems that the most important things are over seen at Web Assist ,
that's teaching your costumers how to work with the extensions!

The funny thing is that I learned how to make a log in registration system with Dream Weaver it self and can make a database the way I want now so I know how it
works, but the documentation sucks so big time that it makes it more complicated to do it with WebAssist ( I know when I really find out how it works it can speed up the time I work on a dynamic site 10x with Web Assist !

unbelievable! David

Sign in to reply to this post

Neil Beadle

Submitting Documentation Feedback

Hi David,

We update/create new documentation for products when new versions are released. We only create new documentation or update existing documentation when it is requested by our customers.

If you believe that documentation you are reading is incorrect, or if you would like a tutorial on how to perform a specific task, please let us know by submitting this form.
feedback.php?type=docs

Trying to do the on-line tutorials (Introduction to Security Assist, 7 different tutorials) but they are out dated and not consistent with information.  

If you know of a tutorial that is outdated or inconsistent with another, let us know and it will be fixed as soon as possible. The fact that it is not fixed, means that we do not know about it. For an older product like SecurityAssist that has undergone numerous dot releases, there is always a possibility of a need to update documentation that did not get passed along to the documentation team.

It seems that the most important things are over seen at Web Assist ,
that's teaching your costumers how to work with the extensions!  

We provide Getting Started Guides and built-in help documentation for every extension. If those guides do not show you how to do what you would like, let us know what it is you want to know.

We appreciate your suggestions regarding our documentation, but please do your best to provide direct feedback as to what you believe needs updating in a particular tutorial.

-Neil

tone397472

OK I start with 3 on-line tutorials for now, because I don't have much time:

*Modifying registration: The way to get to the Record Wizard is not up to date. The steps are different to get there. Dream Weaver 8 and V1.0?!
*Using the update profile: First you have to make a link to a page new Password and then you have to make the page in the next tutorial. In the previous tutorial the page is already there???!!! And what is the ID of the text field? etc.
*Setting up login: The voice suggest to close the Security Assist Authenticate
user after the first two steps. There is a 3th step to finish the whole procedure that shows user_id???!!!

The tutorials look like they are made by a 12 year old on You Tube and don't show much respect for your costumers. The sound in all tutorials is terrible and missing little parts.
And its a labyrinth of unfinished clumsy made stuff.

But the biggest problem I have is the following:

For example the most common subject a simple login page with administrator?! Why is there not just ONE !!! simple step by step tutorial?

The same for a on-line shop It's a jungle of loose bits that you have to glue together. (Yes I know the introduction to Data Assist with the web shop in it, but it's the same story it's not complete).

It takes all unnecessary time for WA employees to answer the same questions all the time. And takes a whole lot of time of your users.

What we need are tutorials where one subject is explained from the beginning till the end and all WA extensions come in at a certain time to play there individual part (in detail and not referring to a other tutorial in which you are pointed to two other PDF tutorials and 5 on-line-tutorials......etc, can you imagine when you want to look up something after a couple of months? There is no way you are gone find it!) .

So let's say I do a login/reg/admin tutorial I start with setting up the data base ( with all details explained, no download of a ready made sql file from WA so everybody knows what he or she is doing!) and connect it to the site, then I can start using the extensions and in one day I can have the pages working, now it takes weeks before you find out how to set it up and how it all works.

That's how every manual/tutorial in the world is made except at WA! Your extensions are unique! I love them. But it's very hard to learn to work with them, because of the poor documentation.

And besides all of this it will accelerate your sales, because the learning process will be much shorter and people will move on to the next handy extension. (common sense not?!)

Greetings David

Neil Beadle

Hi David,

Thanks for your feedback. We will review each of your comments and update the tutorials as soon as we can.

In the future, please use the feedback form i linked to in my previous post for documentation feedback.
feedback.php?type=docs

We want to keep this forum for Support needs. If you use the feedback form, your comments are sent directly to the documentation team instead of requiring a support engineer to pass the forum post on to documentation.

Thanks!

-Neil

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...