close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Stuck At Last Hurdle

Thread began 6/19/2009 7:36 am by Paul | Last modified 6/23/2009 10:36 am by Neil Beadle | 4492 views | 10 replies |

sales304978

Stuck At Last Hurdle

Hi,
I am looking for some basic advice with this solution. So far I have
- created mysql file and checked tables etc
- unzipped solution pack files to folder called CMS under my local root folder
- set up dreamweaver connection to local database file ok
- updated WA globals appropriately
- nothing happens!!
Do I navigate to myroot/CMS/admin/users_login.php to start using this as this does nothing except give an internal 500 error
In the offchance that I can get this to work, is there set file permission that should be applied to CMS files on the live web server folders for security. If so please point me in the right direction.
Rgds
Paul

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Yes, you should navigate to that page. You need to investigate the cause of the 500 error.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Paul

live test

Hi Ray,
Thx for the quick response. I assumed a windows funny on the local error and ignored it for now. I uploaded the files onto a live test server and the program did run. Oddly enough when I put the resultant code into my php page I am just left with a blank area on the site page. The page is viewable as normal just no text on the content area.
2 Questions
I am using a site assist generated file and am trying to paste content code into the page body.
- Is there a particular line/way I am supposed to paste the code at the top and in the content area in particular. i.e does the top paste go above "<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC ...."
and does the content code paste have to have any html tags or can it not be pasted anywhere there might be a <p> tag above it?
I have tried all positions of the top code and content code with no joy. I even tried the code in the template.dwt with no joy. 6 hrs of tricking around has driven me to the pub!!! Hopefully someone can clarify exactly the requirements when using this cms system with site assist sites.
- Re original post will I nedd to set chmod with this system?
\Paul

Neil Beadle

Using the Developer Notes

Hey Paul,

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Here are a few points that might help clarify some things regarding PowerCMS for you.

1. To ensure that they always work, place the first two lines of the Developer notes at the very top of your page - Above the <!DOCTYPE> reference.
2. The third line of code is different for each piece of content you've inserted into PowerCMS. You will paste this within the <body> tag of the page the content is to display.

For step-by-step instructions on adding these Developer Notes to your page...follow this How To powercms_creating_content.pdf.

The most common process for tying PowerCMS to an existing PHP site is to cut the content from your page and paste that content into a new content area in PowerCMS. Once you've inserted that content area, place the Developer Notes on the page the content is to display, inserting the third line in the exact location where you cut the code from. You should then find that it appears on your page exactly the same way as it did before...but you can now use PowerCMS to make updates and changes to that content.

What you insert into PowerCMS should be like any other content you would insert into the Design View of Dreamweaver. It should not have the <HTML> or <body> tags as these are already on the actual page.

Let us know if you continue to have issues. All the documentation and support for PowerCMS can be found on the PowerCMS Support page here powercms/.

Paul

folder path

Ok, I discoved that a break is yet again a good therapy. The problem was that the path defined in the two line top php code wasn't defining the path for my cms installation. I tried to trick with globals but think it might be better to leave it as it is as this will really stop anybody adding misc content without knowledge of the files. I'll decide on that one later.
With the image files..... I don't seem to have any joy with the upload at all. I don't think it is a permissions issue as I have seen similar issues with blogs before. I can copy a pic from a blog in the content editor and it works fine. Any thoughts appreciated.
Product looks a lot more attractive now but I would still like to know if any chmods are required or is the system bullet proof as is.
\Paul

Paul

still at it on Fathers day

Hi Webassist
Ok, to finalise this install, the 2 problems in detail are

1- When I upload an image to the server in the content editor, the message states "your file has been sucessfully uploaded" and when you look at the image location it is always at the top domain level (image.jpg). The image actually doesn't get put there at all or anywhere else and I would like to know how to change this location to the images folder in the CMS folder or any other folder for that matter.

2- the top code irrespective of any WA_global.php setting is always

<?php include "Connections/localhost.php"; ?>

<?php include "WA_CMS/WA_CMS.php"; ?>

How do I automatically change the first line output of the content code to

<?php include "MyCMSFolder/Connections/localhost.php"; ?>

<?php include "WA_CMS/WA_CMS.php"; ?>

As an aside I would just ask again if there are any CHMODS or file removals necessary after install on live server.

My WA_Global.php looks like this although I have tried many many path, relative paths etc with no joy
<?php
$WAGLOBAL_Root_URL = "http://www.mysite.com/" ; //Absolute path to your site folder.
$WAGLOBAL_Site_Name = "Administration Area" ;

$WAGLOBAL_localRoot = "/CMS/"; //relative path to your PowerCMS files on your local testing server.
$WAGLOBAL_remoteRoot = "/CMS/"; //relative path to your PowerCMS files on your remote server.

//iRite Images upload settings
$WAGLOBAL_Images_Folder = "images/"; //relative path to your images folder.
$WAGLOBAL_Swf_Folder = "swf/"; //relative path to your swf folder.

// Admin Settings
$WAGLOBAL_Admin_UserName = "myusername" ;
$WAGLOBAL_Admin_Password = "mypassword" ;
?>

Kind Rgds
\Paul

Neil Beadle

Hi Paul,

1. You may need to use trial and error to figure out the path you want to use here. Make sure you have specified the remote root and local root settings correctly. If you are just testing on your live server, set the local root to have the same setting as the remote root option. If you can't figure this out, i suggest you submit a support ticket to have a technician help you get this working properly. You can do that here techsupportinsert_1.php

2. If PowerCMS is not stored at the root of your site, those two settings will need to be adjusted accordingly. If you are looking to change it on the Developer Notes, simply open the contents_detail.php page and change it there.

As for CHMODS or file removals, these should not be necessary if all the steps are followed correctly and it is set up properly. If you continue to have problems, please submit a support ticket to ensure your issue is resolved...but post back here to let us know your situation.

Paul

just don't get the issue

Hi Neil, Webassist,
This is getting really frustrating now because documentation seems to be an ongoing issue here. I do not see what the problem is with my question and why I cannot have a straight answer. I have followed the documentation to the word and eventually figured out how to at least get things working myself. This software is on a live server now. I used the folder name "CMS" which site directly under my root domain name. I have to modify the top of page code from the developer notes for each new page added to manually add the CMS path but I can live with that. I do feel this should be addressed by webassist as I am following your instructions. Secondly, I cannot upload images when I click browse even though your software says they are uploaded at root level. The full error and relevant code is pasted in my previous post. If there is necessity to go into other admin folders and modify php files when simply uploading your files, why is this not documented. Can somebody please look at my previous post and just explain why "CMS" must be added manually to the path in the developer notes each time. More importantly can you explain if there is additional irite configuration that is not included in your documentation. I have tried uploading to my server and used /images/ , images/ CMS/images, /CMS/images/, http:images etc, etc ,etc.
To me, those in webassist in particular, that know the product should be able to give a fairly quick answer here without trouble tickets.
\Paul

Neil Beadle

Hi Paul,

Have you submitted a support ticket yet? Are support is free to assist customers with issues just like the ones you are experiencing.

The documentation covers everything a typical setup would require to get PowerCMS functioning properly. We have had many customers succeed in implementing PowerCMS without any issues with the documentation.

You should not have to edit any files other than what is documented. However, since you placed your PowerCMS files in a subdirectory, the paths need to be adjusted. This is probably something that could be made clearer in the documentation.

As far as iRite goes, if you specify the settings correctly in the WA_Globals.php file, you should not need to change anything else. However, there is no way for anyone to determine the correct settings unless they look at your site and your server's configuration. This is why i recommend you submit a support ticket, if you cannot figure this out.

If there are specific areas where you think documentation can improve, please let us know by completing the contact form found here submit-idea.php.

Paul

Try the ticket option

OK Neil, I will try the ticket option but I only used a folder under root domain as per powercms_globals.pdf and find it confusing to have install issues now. I hope it will be resolved soon and my money is on a really simple fix not covered in documentation.
\Paul

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...