close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

PS3 Search not working (entirely)

Thread began 11/12/2010 10:56 am by terry164844 | Last modified 11/17/2010 8:08 am by Jason Byrnes | 2212 views | 8 replies |

terry164844

PS3 Search not working (entirely)

The PS3 Search (both the top nav and the dropdown search feature does not completely work properly.

Better put, it only remembers the last search that was completed.

Here's what I did:

1.) goto www.qlineshop.com
2.) click the search button on the home page without anything in the search box
3.) You should see all the products.
4.) enter in the search box 605, click search...the results does not change.
5.) It's like the search is stuck on the previous search and doesn't refresh.

Question: Is this resolved in the release 3.0.1 and I should apply this release? I wanted to ask first before I did.

Thanks for your help,

Terry

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I'm not able to reproduce the problem. attached are screen shots after clicking the search button with nothing entered and then clicking the search button after entering 605 for the search term.

notice the second one says product 1 - 7 of 7

terry164844

yes...for me also I was not always able to duplicate the problem. I did however duplicate it a couple of times and more importantly the customer was able to.

After looking at the Product_Results.php page the sql gets pretty deep, so I'm inclined to to touch it until I'm completely familiar with how it works.

Tell me, is there (I don't see any) server variables that keep data where the search would pull from? It seems (when I can duplicate the problem) that the search is keeping the last known search criteria or sql statement.

I've been able to search on the 605 or something else and the search works, but when I search on something different it reverts to the 605 search results or the "all" products results

Thoughts?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the previous search is stored in a session variable named "WADbSearch1_Products_Results"

In reality to be able to troubleshoot the cause of the issue, we would need to know exact steps to reproduce the problem.

Does it happen when using a particular browser only?

a particular search term only?

If we can get specific steps for reproducing the problem, we will be able to find the cause.

terry164844

Jason,

Hi. I entered 605 in the search bar (not from the drop down) and I got a list of all the products in the store.

The URL that returned was this: (minus the quotes)

"http://qlineshop.com/store/Products_Results.php?pageNum_WADAProducts=2&totalRows_WADAProducts=26&Search=1&ProductCategoryID[]=5"

I don't know if this helps troubleshoot or not.

Let me know,

Terry

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

what browser are you using?

Are you clicking the search button or using the enter key?

in the main.dwt.php template, try changing the search form code:

php:
<form id="searchForm" method="get"  action="../Products_Results.php" >

<input name="Search" type="submit" value="Search" id="Search" alt="Search" />
<input type="text" name="S_ProductName" id="S_ProductName" />
</form>

to:

php:
<form id="searchForm" method="get"  action="../Products_Results.php" >

<input name="SearchSubmit" type="submit" value="Search" id="SearchSubmit" alt="SearchSubmit" />
<input name="Search" type="hidden" value="Search" id="Search" alt="Search" />
<input type="text" name="S_ProductName" id="S_ProductName" />
</form>

terry164844

Good question. I normally use chrome, however the client uses IE8.

As far as pressing enter or clicking the search button, more than likely I pressed the enter key. Honestly I don't remember.

Okay, please educate me. What would cause the difference in results? I know potentially a different key or form would be submitted depending on the focus

Also, is the code you provided just insuring that the code gets the "Search" value regardless of me pressing enter or clicking the search button. I've never seen that before and think it's pretty cool.

THANK YOU! I'll give it a try now.

Terry

terry164844

Jason,

I have been trying to test out the new code. I tried different browsers (IE8 & Chrome).

I was able to duplicate the problem :(

In IE8, was at the home page and typed in 605 in the search box and pressed enter.

This is the URL I got back:

"http://qlineshop.com/store/Products_Results.php?S_ProductName=605"
(without quotes)

but the results where not correct. It seems to have kept my last query or select which was the Kitchen Storage link on the left menu.

Very weird!

Thoughts?

PS...I am able to duplicate this. If you click on a left menu item and then search on something in the searchbox and press enter, it gives me the results from the previous left menu results. I try it again and I get the proper search results.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the issue is that some versions of IE do not send the submit button as part of the form submit in very small forms. The submit button is used as the trigger though.

the code change i gave you replaces the submit button named search with a hidden form element, this way the search will always trigger.

When i view source of your page, I do not see the change applied.

When making edits to the power store template, your power store files must be at the root of the Dreamweaver site for the changes to take effect on the child pages.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...