close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Getting it to work with an existing site

Thread began 6/16/2009 1:10 pm by sales189614 | Last modified 6/17/2009 2:01 pm by sales189614 | 6122 views | 11 replies |

sales189614

Getting it to work with an existing site

Ok, I have it installed, configured, all of that. Here's my problem.... I am installing this in an existing site. I have added

<?php include "cms/Connections/localhost.php"; ?>
<?php include "cms/WA_CMS/WA_CMS.php"; ?>

to all of the pages as well as <?php echo WA_getCMSContent($database_localhost, $localhost,"home", "main"); ?> to the body (replacing home with whatever page it happens to be and leaving the main because all of the pages have an editable region named main).

So far the only page I can get to show up in the admin is the test page I created while logged into the cms on the site. So my question is how do I get this existing site to show up in this cms so my client can get in and start working with it? This is definitely not what I was expecting at all, and I even asked pre-sale questions, yet... well you know.

Help????

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

What happens when you try to go to a page? Do you get an error? It has to be a problem with your database setup, but most likely you don't have error debugging enabled on your php server so it doesnt' tell you any information about the error.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Usually it would be:

<?php include "Connections/localhost.php"; ?>

not:

but you may have moved it.

sales189614

That's where I have my power cms, is in the directory called cms. That's why. Everything works fine. I am just trying to figure out how to get my EXISTING FILES to show up in the program. They don't show up in there.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You need to insert references to the existing files. They don't show up by default.

You need to add references to the admin for the existing pages and then add the content code reference to those pages before you can start using them.

Maybe I am missing something.

sales189614

Ok, so when you say references, do you mean:

Cause I have done that. If that's not what you mean, then could you explain to me where and how I add the references and the content code reference (which is what I thought adding the <?php echo WA_getCMSContent($database_localhost, $localhost,"home", "main"); ?> was, was the content code. The above was adding the connection reference etc, and the one I just pasted was the content reference. After adding those on all of my pages, they should show up in the system for my client to edit then right? I am so confused. Not sure if I made the right decision with this one, ya know?

Neil Beadle

I think you may be confused with how PowerCMS is implemented.

Sounds like you have followed the instructions correctly and have PowerCMS properly tied to your pages.

The way this works now...is that you need to go through PowerCMS to insert the content that should display on your pages. Then, the Developer Notes reference that is provided to you in PowerCMS after inserting will need to be added to the page you want that content to appear.

It does not read the page on your site for the content....you copy/create that content directly within PowerCMS.

After inserting content, and adding that reference to your page, you should see that content appear on the page.

Does this help? Or are you still having problems?

sales189614

I think I am starting to understand it, a little. I am still working on it. One question though. If I have images in a content section, why don't those images show up in the editor? I just see the alt tags. I think that may be a problem cause my client needs to see images within the content, you know?

sales189614

Oh yeah, so say I create a page name of index with a content area of main (all of the pages will have just one content area, that is called main, that is ok right?). So say I go into the program and create that, then put the content section into the little wysiwyg editor. Won't it overwrite my already uploaded index.php and how does it get the info for the rest of the page, everything that is not in the main content area??? I create the sites in Dreamweaver and use the template feature it has and editible regions (usually just one), so if I create the page in the cms, where does it get all of the templated info. I guess that's what confuses me. I am starting to understand that the database holeds the content and it needs to be in the database, but I don't know how it gets the rest. Because if the page is already uploaded to the server, does it overwrite it? How do I get the images to display in the wysiwyg editor.

Also, is it possible to hide the developer notes cause that's something I don't want my client to have to worry about or me have to explain that it's not for them. Can that somehow be hidden from the program???

---------------------------------------------------------
Ok, I tried it. I took a page that was already there and created the content in power cms. Then I made sure that the content was replaced by <?php echo WA_getCMSContent($database_localhost, $localhost,"contact", "main"); ?> since it would now be taking the content from the database and now that page gives the following error when trying to access it in the browser:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: wa_getcmscontent() in /home/foxfiren/public_html/contact.php on line 73

Line 73 is where <?php echo WA_getCMSContent($database_localhost, $localhost,"contact", "main"); ?> is.

So now I am really confused. If you're supposed to create the content sections in power cms, and replace the content that was there with the php code it gives you, then why the error? Now I am confused.

HELP???????

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It sounds like you may not have the include reference on the page, or high enough on the page.

the error says the function is undefined, but that function should be defined with the line of code:

so that line of code maybe doesn't exist or is too low on the page.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...