close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Some questions about Form Builder 2

Thread began 10/23/2010 4:26 am by YellowCircleWeb | Last modified 10/25/2010 6:21 pm by YellowCircleWeb | 1349 views | 2 replies |

YellowCircleWeb

Some questions about Form Builder 2

I've been using Form Builder 2 for about 6 hours now and STILL haven't managed to build a form that looked right and displayed correctly in all browsers. I'm not new to web development, I've been doing it since 1997, but I cannot seem to get this software to work so I have a few questions.

1) How can I add CAPTCHA to an existing form that I built myself (not in form builder) and then use Form Builder to add the CAPTCHA but not have it overwrite all my code with the Form Builder CSS/HTML?

2) Are you planning on fixing the clear:both bug in CSS generated by form builder that currently makes every form appear below any layout elements floated to it's left or right - it's pretty frustrating to have to go into the CSS code every time a change is made through form builder and remove that line

3) Are there any plans to update the software so that it doesn't write huge amounts of HTML (DIVs, UL, LI, SPANS) to create forms? - the amount of code this thing generates is ridiculous

4) Are there any plans to update the software so that when amending either an existing form or existing CSS with Form Builder it doesn't simply overwrite everything you've previously done with an updated version of the code - this method has broken the layout of forms I've created every single time I've tried (an example is changing the width of the form from pixels to percentages, all the labels go out of alignment with the fields)

If the answers to most of those questions are 'no' - this thing is being deleted.

Look at this form I created in Form Builder for examples of what I'm talking about contact-us.php - CAPTCHA font isnt' displaying, all files have been uploaded, it doesn't display correctly in IE9, it looks messed up in Dreamweaver too, even after removing the clear:both line (though that might just be a dreamweaver thing)

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

1) The form builder wizard creates entire forms, but there are many underlying server behaviors that can be used individually. To add CAPTCHA to another page, copy and paste the CAPTCHA fields from an existing form builder page and update the Sever Validation to validate the CAPTCHA fields.

2) I will log this as a bug to be addressed in the next dot release.

3) We will be addressing the creation of simpler forms in several ways. The current complexity reflects the complex design options that are available when configuring a design. We understand the trade-off between flexibility and complexity, and do intend on creating tools that will better integrate into existing forms.

4) The update functionality of form builder should only be used if you haven't edited the form html or css by hand. The best way to handle this is to create a separate .css file that can override the css in form-builder for any .css tweaks you want to make by hand. That way when form builder updates it's css file it won't interfere with your updates.

If you have edited the html by hand it is probably not a good idea to re-enter the Form Builder Wizard since it will be overwritten. But if you are customizing the html you would probably want to use your own custom format, so you should be able to copy and paste and update field names using your edited html.

The main issue with the form is that the CAPTCHA isn't working. It looks like GD is working, but no text is displaying. So it is most likely an issue with the font file.

When it works you will see the CAPTCHA at: wavt_captchasecurityimages.php

That file never changes, so if it doesn't work on this page it won't work on any page. I think the issue may be that you haven't uploaded the /webassist/captcha/font/ folder. I get a 404 when I try to view: monofont.ttf

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

YellowCircleWeb

Thank you for your feedback on my questions Ray. I do appreciate it. I've gone back to using Form Builder 1 for the time being. I'll give V2 a go at the next update, but at the moment I just can't use it.

On the whole I do think the software provided by WebAssist is great. I was just a little disappointed with this particular release and it might be an idea to provide better documentation in future too, especially with things like Form Builder overwriting CSS changes each time it updates (I think that's pretty important).

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...