close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

How to create advanced DataAssist query

Thread began 10/11/2010 8:27 am by alexdove339608 | Last modified 10/13/2010 2:43 pm by YellowCircleWeb | 1964 views | 7 replies |

alexdove339608

How to create advanced DataAssist query

I am trying to create a query using an advanced data table query. My query is already created and used INNER JOIN and other nested SELECT statements. When trying to use the Data Assist Search Wizard it allows me to enter my own query but I cannot get it to give a result set based on the query. When I use the Data Assist Wizard I can only do simple queries on single tables. Both of these are not acceptable answers. I need to do complex queries on both. At a minimum I need to do multiple table queries.

Thanks
Alex

Sign in to reply to this post

Miguel

I do a lot of complex querys with joins and stuff using the search wizard and had no issues yet we would need a more info of what your trying to accomplish to see whats your problem

alexdove339608

How did you do that? Can you give a step-by-step?

Dave BuchholzBeta Tester

Alex,

It requires writing your own SQL queries either in the advanced recordset box that you can open via the server behaviours panel or direct in the code on the page (only recommended if you know what you are doing)

If you need more information on SQL JOINS etc. I would suggest that you get the excellent book Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes by Ben Forta which is an excellent starting point for learning the intricacies of SQL

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Navicat is also a good tool that can you create complex join queries using a GUI interface:
mysql_overview.html

alexdove339608

Thanks for the responses, however, I must not have been clear on the problem. My query is already created. The problem is in using Data Assist. I need to create a search query based on my pre-written query. The Data Assist Search Wizard seems only to allow single tables and you need to manually create the relationship for the cells on the page. What I want is to use the Data Assist to create a search field(s) based on my custom, pre-written query on selected cells. The program appears to have two (2) options for search queries: the Data Assist and the Data Assist Search. How do I use these? I have already gone through the manuals and FAQ...

Thanks
Alex

Dave BuchholzBeta Tester

Alex,

In this instance you need to create your results page first with your complex recordset and then use the DataAssist Search Wizard to create your search form. Alternatively once you learn how the search items are formatted in the code you can add your own by hand.

YellowCircleWeb

Alex,

I think I understand what you're trying to do. Instead of creating a query in your database create a VIEW instead. These show up in the DataAssist Wizard along with Tables, queries do not.

Hope that helps

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...